How To Cancel VPN Subscriptions
How to cancel your VPN account depends where you bought it from and in some cases, the payment method you used.
It is better to use a VPN and cancel it than to not use a VPN at all, as the saying goes. The good news is, if you want to cancel your VPN, you can do so in only a few minutes. However, many companies bury their cancellation instructions deep within their websites, so we took the liberty of finding out for you. No need to thank us!
How To Cancel VPN Subscriptions
How to cancel a VPN depends on where you purchased it in the first place: either in an app store or on the company’s website.
If You Bought VPN in Apple or Google Play Store
If you purchased your VPN from an app store, then you’ll cancel it in your device’s settings.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Your Name.
- Click on Subscriptions.
- Tap your VPN subscription.
- Hit Cancel.
- In the app store, sign in to your account.
- Click the Person icon at the top of the window.
- Click Subscriptions.
- Click Manage.
- Click VPN Subscription.
- Click Edit.
- Cancel Subscription.1
- Under Services & Subscriptions, sign in to your account.
- Find your VPN subscription.
- Click Manage.
- Click Cancel.2
- In the Google Play store, sign in.
- Click on Menu and Subscriptions.
- Select your VPN subscription.
- Click Cancel.3
Pro Tip: Since most VPNs have auto-renewal set up automatically, see if you can turn it off after a certain date; that way, you won’t have to cancel when the time comes.
If You Bought VPN on a Company Website
Most likely, if you purchased a VPN on its website rather than in an app store, you’ll cancel it by signing into your account. It’s rare that VPNs have phone numbers, although some have email addresses to contact support directly.
|Astrill VPN||n/a, no refunds after 7-day free trial||n/a, no refunds after 7-day free trial|
|Avast SecureLine VPN||n/a, unsubscribe in account||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|AVG VPN||n/a, unsubscribe in account||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Bitdefender Premium VPN||954-414-9655||n/a, unsubscribe on website or in account|
|BlackVPN||n/a||n/a, contact form on website only|
|CyberGhost||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Encrypt.firstname.lastname@example.org (Family and Team accounts only)|
|ExpressVPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|HideMyAss||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Hotspot Shield||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|IPVanish||800-591-5241||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Ivacy VPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|IVPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Kaspersky VPN Secure||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|KeepSolid VPN Unlimited||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Malwarebytes Privacy VPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|McAfee Safe Connect VPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Mozilla VPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Norton Secure VPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Private Internet Access||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|PureVPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Trust.Zone||n/a||n/a, fill out contact form on site|
|TunnelBear||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|VPNSecure||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|VyprVPN||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
|Windscribe||n/a||n/a, unsubscribe in account|
FYI: Not all VPNs have money-back guarantees, so this is something to keep in mind during your buying process.
If you want to invest in another VPN after canceling, we recommend checking out our VPN guide, which includes a shopping guide. As an alternative, you can check out the picks for our best VPNs, all of which we’ve been testing out for years on end. Or, read about how much VPNs cost so you can get an idea of typical pricing. We’ve outlined a few of our favorites here:
- NordVPN: NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs in the world, with over eight million customers internationally. Based in Panama, they’re not subject to the Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes international surveillance alliances that would require handing over customer data to the government. Plus, they hardly log any data, not keeping track of what users do online or their IP addresses, so even if they were asked, they would have nothing to hand over. Learn more in our NordVPN review.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN is another popular option based in the British Virgin Islands, another Five Eyes non-member. With over 2,000 servers in 148 global locations, ExpressVPN is a good VPN for travel, if you’re bouncing between different Wi-Fi networks. It’s also a good choice if you like movies and TV shows, as it works with Netflix, torrenting, and a host of other streaming services such as Prime Video, Disney+, ESPN +, Hulu and even Youtube TV. Our ExpressVPN review goes into even more detail about the VPN itself, while our page on ExpressVPN costs covers pricing.
- Surfshark: Last but certainly not least, Surfshark is another VPN that’s great for privacy. Why? Because it uses AES-256 encryption, which is the same method that the U.S military uses to secure top-secret files. However, Surfshark doesn’t stop there. They employ what’s called multi-hop, meaning that they encrypt data multiple times through multiple servers. And of course, Surfshark has a failsafe option called a kill switch, which will shut down all web activity if the VPN disconnects. Combine that with their headquarters in the British Virgin Islands, the same country as ExpressVPN, plus a strict logging policy, and you’ve got one of the best options for the privacy-minded VPN-user.
That’s all we have on how to cancel your VPN! Next time, make sure to read up on your VPN before purchasing, paying special attention to its refund policy. To save money, read about the best VPN deals. Or, keep reading to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope we answered all of your questions about cancelling VPN subscriptions, but if we didn’t here’s another shot.
How do I cancel my VPN Unlimited subscription?
To cancel your VPN Unlimited subscription:
- Log into your KeepSolid account.
- If you purchased it directly on the KeepSolid website; you’ll cancel it within the account.
- If you purchased it from the Apple App store or the Google Play store, you’ll need to cancel the subscription in your device’s settings under the subscription section.
How can I cancel my free VPN?
How to cancel your free VPN depends on where you purchased it, from the company’s website or from an app store. If you downloaded it from a website, you will most likely need to:
- Go back to that website.
- Cancel your subscription directly in the account area.
If you purchased it in the App or Google Play stores, you’ll need to:
- Enter your device’s subscription settings.
- Cancel the subscription.
How can you cancel subscriptions on the iPhone?
To cancel subscriptions on the iPhone:
- Go into Settings.
- Click on your name at the top.
- Click Subscriptions.
- Tap on the one you want to cancel.
- Click Cancel Subscription.
How do I cancel my ExpressVPN subscription in 30 days?
How to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription in 30 days, meaning turn off auto-renewal, depends on how you purchased it in the first place. If you used a credit card or PayPal:
- Sign into your ExpressVPN account.
- Click Subscription.
- Click Manage Subscription Settings.
- Turn off Auto-Renewal.
However, if you paid using Paymentwall or BitPay, you don’t need to cancel, as there’s no auto-renewal in place. If you are having trouble cancelling, contact ExpressVPN via the live chat on their website.
Apple. (2021). How to cancel a subscription from Apple.
Microsoft. (2021). How to cancel your Microsoft subscription.
Google. (2021). Cancel, pause, or change a subscription on Google Play.