One of the most popular VPNs might also be the most secure.
What We Like
- Minimal data logging: NordVPN only keeps track of the basics like email, payment information, and customer service interactions.
- Located in Panama: This means that NordVPN falls outside of the surveillance alliances Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes. As a result, the government can never force NordVPN to surrender our data.
- Shared IP addresses: To keep our online traffic private, NordVPN assigns a certain number of IP addresses to each server location. Other NordVPN users connecting to the same server as ours shared these IP addresses, allowing for more anonymity.
What We Don't Like
- Customer service: Even though we were happy about NordVPN’s options of a live chat, email support, and an FAQ database, we wished the company had phone support.
- Torrenting: Although NordVPN allows torrenting on its servers, not all servers work with torrent clients. Finding a server for torrenting requires trial-and-error.
Bottom LineOne of the better-known VPNs, NordVPN's Panama headquarters makes it a top choice for the privacy-concerned, as Panama isn't a member of any international surveillance alliances. On top of that, NordVPN has some of the best security and privacy features, including Double VPN and Onion Over VPN.
Business Leader. (2019). Five Eyes Alliance: Everything You Need To Know.
GlobeNewswire. (2021). NordVPN completes advanced application security audit.
Washington Post. (2015). Everything you need to know about encryption: Hint, you’re already using it.
CSO Online. (2020). What is WireGuard? Secure, simple VPN now part of Linux.