Creating and maintaining secure passwords can definitely be a hassle. One of the main reasons for creating this tool is to check to make sure you don’t get stuck in a rut using passwords that are easily cracked but rather, are using the best online password strategies. We can quickly tell you how secure your passwords are based on their lengths and the content of their characters. While it’s easy to use passwords like “password” or “1234”, these can leave you susceptible to hackings, which can later lead to identity theft and even financial losses. It’s important to use strong passwords to keep your accounts secure and ensure that you are the only authorized user with access, maintaining your digital safety.
Aside from creating secure and unique passwords for all of your accounts, here are a few other tips on how to stay safe, online and offline:
- Use a VPN: While passwords keep unauthorized users out of your accounts, your Internet Service Provider can still see everywhere you go online as well as your devices’ private IP addresses. The only way to hide your web activity and IP addresses it to connect not directly to a public Wi-Fi network, but instead to connect to a VPN, which stands for Virtual Private Network. Read our best VPN list, all tried and tested by our digital security experts.
- Get identity theft protection: Sure, a strong password can go a long way in protecting your online accounts, but there’s no single action that can protect your personally identifiable information from identity theft. Rather, top identity theft protection software can lend a hand in monitoring key criminal and financial areas for your information.
- Install a home security system: Safety doesn’t end online. It’s also important to protect your home and family with our favorite home security systems.
Frequently Asked Questions
Passwords are one of the topics we get asked about the most, so we’re happy to share our knowledge with you here.
- Are longer passwords more secure?
Longer passwords are more secure than shorter passwords. We recommend creating passwords that are more than 10 characters long and contain a mix of letters, numbers and special characters.
- How fast can a password be hacked?
If you are on an insecure Wi-Fi network, passwords can be hacked within seconds.
- How long should my password be?
Your password should be 10 to 20 characters long; the longer the password, the harder it will be to guess.
- What is the most secure password?
There’s no one password that’s the most secure. However, the most secure passwords are long, complicated and unique to each account.
- How secure is my password safe?
It depends on the company behind your password safe. If your information is encrypted using AES-256, then it is safe. However, password safes that use AES-128 encryption aren’t as secure.