Identity Guard Review: Best Identity Protection?
Sophisticated identity theft protection featuring IBM® Watson™ artificial intelligence
What We Like
- Affordability: Individual plans for personal use range from $7.50 to $25 per month, billed yearly, which is at the low end of the market.
- $1 million reimbursements: We felt good knowing that we were insured for up to $1 million if anyone should manage to hijack our identities.
- AI identity monitoring: Identity Guard uses IBM’s Watson artificial intelligence, a computer so smart it has beaten the world’s best chess champions, to keep an eye out for identity theft.
What We Don't Like
- Cheapest plan doesn’t include credit monitoring: If you’re looking for comprehensive identity theft protection, the cheapest plan isn’t a good choice due to its lack of credit monitoring. Credit monitoring is available starting with the $16.67 per month Total plan.
- Third-party sharing: We were disappointed to learn that Identity Guard shares our data with third-party vendors since that makes us more vulnerable to annoying solicitations.
- Weaker encryption: Identity Guard uses 128-bit AES encryption to safeguard our data. The industry standard is 256-bit AES. 128-bit is still pretty good, but 256-bit would have been better.