How Much Does NordVPN Cost?
How to get NordVPN for the lowest prices available
- Cost for one month is $11.95
- Cost for one year is $59, or $4.92 per month
- Cost for two years is $99, or $3.67 per month
- Get three months free with the two-year plan
- Subscription plans start at $99 for a two-year commitment.
- Each plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Students can receive a 15 percent discount for a two-year plan.
VPNs are perfect if you need to access the internet safely and privately from any network. NordVPN, in particular, believes that the internet can be more private, and the company is dedicated to making that vision a reality. Below, we’ll go through our take on NordVPN pricing, its features, subscription options, and whether we think it’s a worthy VPN for you. We’ve been testing NordVPN for years now, but on this page, we’re talking about the bottom line for this VPN service.
|1-month subscription cost||$11.95|
|1-year subscription cost||$59|
|2-year subscription cost||$99|
|Money-back guarantee length||30 days|
|Payment options||Major credit cards, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, UnionPay, ACH Transfer, and cryptocurrencies|
How Much Does NordVPN Cost?
NordVPN’s low-commitment month-to-month option costs $11.95 per month. If we signed on for a year and spent $59 upfront, the pricing would come down to only $4.92 a month, and if we signed up for two years for $44.04 a year, our monthly cost would decrease to $3.67. That’s pretty affordable.
We know price is a major decision-making factor in choosing a VPN, so we’ve laid it all out for you. The NordVPN options are pretty straightforward; we would get all the same features regardless of what plan we went with, so the only difference was the length of time we subscribed for. NordVPN gave us three options, ranging from one month all the way up to two years, with a sliding scale for cost.
Of course, the more commitment we sign up for, the more of a discount we’ll get. But considering the breadth of features, we’d be happy to sign on for a longer-term commitment.
Deals and Discounts
At the time we’re writing this, NordVPN’s homepage is advertising a VPN Awareness Month sale with 69 percent off a two-year plan, with the first three months free for a total of 27 months. This “sale” brings the monthly cost down to $3.67 per month, or $99 total. But NordVPN always lowers its costs for longer contracts, so don’t fall for advertising that suggests the deals “won’t last long.” Be sure to read NordVPN’s deals before clicking purchase to stretch your dollar the most.
|Price||Cost per month||Cost per year||Cost per 2 years (plus 3 months free)|
|Total Amount Billed||$11.95||$59||$99|
Speaking of deals, our college days are behind us, but we’re always looking for ways to help students in their relentless pursuit of knowledge and privacy. NordVPN, which is one of the best VPNs for school, offers students an additional 15 percent discount for two-year plans plus three free months through Student Beans and Youth Discount. This discount brings down the cost total of the two-year plan to $75.60 or $3.15 a month.
The discount is also available through Descuento Estudiante, which is for students in the E.U. and South America.
With its wide variety of pricing options, NordVPN offers great value and is in line with many of its competitors. For example, ExpressVPN’s costs start at $6.67 a month, and IPVanish’s costs start at $3.75 a month. Plus, NordVPN impressed us with the many services and features it offered. Each subscription includes:
- Speedy internet with no throttling or bandwidth limits
- 256-bit AES encryption
- No logging of IP addresses, servers, websites, or files you visit
- Ability to stream
- Protection of mobile devices
- 5,200 plus servers in 60 countries
- Coverage of six devices at once
- Apps that are compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Firefox, Chrome, and Linux browsers and devices
- Automatic kill switch
- Dedicated IP address
- P2P sharing
- Masking of our IP addresses
- Double VPN that hides activity behind two encrypted servers
- Onion Over VPN; this feature sends our web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, which gives us more security as we browse.
- Enhanced security to block ads, suspicious sites, and malware
- Browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- Worldwide access
- Split tunneling
- 24/7 customer support
When it comes to NordVPN, there’s a lot to like. We’ve rounded up the highlights below.
- Global coverage: NordVPN has 5,234 servers operating in more than 60 countries and counting. That means that we had a good chance of being close to a server, and thus, having great internet speeds, no matter where our travels took us.
- Connect up to six devices at the same time: We multitasked on all our devices without restraint.
- Strong encryption: NordVPN used AES-256 encryption, which is what the NSA recommends.1
- Minimal logging: NordVPN did not collect data like our IP addresses, the servers we used, the websites we visited, or the files we downloaded. And, because its headquarters is based in Panama, it’s not part of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or Fourteen Eyes2. PricewaterhouseCoopers even audited NordVPN and confirmed that its policy description was fair and accurate.
Pro Tip: Pay attention to where a VPN company’s headquarters is. NordVPN’s headquarters is in Panama, so it isn’t under the jurisdiction of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes. This means NordVPN doesn’t need to share your information with the government.
- Ultra-fast streaming: There’s no throttling or monthly caps on network bandwidth, so we could binge-watch our favorite shows with no restraint. Needless to say, we watched Netflix with our VPN a lot, especially since NordVPN let us change our Netflix region.
- Automatic kill switch: If our VPN connection accidentally dropped due to something like an unstable Internet connection or a server failure, the kill switch activated and blocked our device from accessing an insecure Internet.
- A dedicated IP: NordVPN gave us our own IP address. That meant we achieved secure and convenient online payments and avoided CAPTCHAs. Also, we avoided getting put on blacklists; that can happen sometimes when using shared IP addresses, which is usually the case with other VPNs.
- P2P sharing is possible: We shared data amongst our team quickly and directly. NordVPN is one of our top-rated VPNs for torrenting, especially if privacy is a priority for you. However, sharing our data meant we saw each others’ IP addresses, so that’s something to keep in mind.
- Double VPN: Two servers hid our activity. This concept, known as VPN server chaining or multi-hop, enhanced our security, protected and hid our IP addresses, and hid where we went on the internet from everyone, even our internet service provider.
- NordVPN cybersec: This advanced security measure blocked websites that had reputations for hosting malware or phishing, so we felt protected from online attacks.
- Split tunneling: This newly-added feature meant some of our devices routed through the VPN tunnel, while other devices or apps connected to public networks at the same time. Split tunneling gave us more bandwidth, which we appreciated as it meant faster speeds.
- 24/7 customer support: We didn’t run into any issues when we used NordVPN, but we could access its customer support line via its robust help center archive, email support, and live chat features.
Did You Know: Not all VPNs allow torrenting. Because NordVPN offers double encryption, six simultaneous connections per subscription, and split tunneling, it’s a great option if you need to use a VPN to torrent large files.
Can I Try NordVPN for Free?
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. So, while it doesn’t offer a traditional free trial period like many other free trial VPNs, we still got the chance to give NordVPN a try with no risk.
It’s worth mentioning that NordVPN charged our cards right away, but the first 30 days were completely risk-free, so we could have canceled for any reason. NordVPN impressed us so much that we never considered canceling. However, if we had felt differently, all we would have done was contact customer support to get our cancellation started.
Watch Out: While NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, it can’t issue refunds if you purchased a plan or product on Apple’s app store. However, you can get in touch with Apple’s support directly if you want a refund.
NordVPN accepts a number of payment methods, including credit cards and cryptocurrencies.
How Can I Cancel?
We never intended to cancel our subscription, but if we wanted to, we could have canceled our VPN subscription through NordVPN’s website. Here’s how to cancel your NordVPN subscription:
- Sign in to your account.
- Find your Dashboard tab.
- Click the Menu symbol.
- Click Cancel Automatic Payments. This will allow you to cancel a recurring payment, but it will not issue any refunds.
- If you’d like a refund, you’ll need to contact customer support via email or live chat to cancel your account. Contact customer support through the email or chat buttons on NordVPN’s website.3
- Check your inbox for a confirmation email.
NordVPN spread its 5,234 servers across 60 countries. This is important because it means we can access the internet from anywhere. The more servers, the better chances we have of never running into slow internet speeds, which is our personal nightmare. NordVPN has servers in:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs, and for good reasons. It offers a one-size-fits-all solution for anyone looking to cover their digital footprints. Also, it offers pricing to fit any budget.
With a variety of pricing options, NordVPN is one of the cheaper VPNs out there, especially if you are down for a longer-term commitment. We love that NordVPN is headquartered in Panama; it puts our minds at rest that it won’t share our data with the federal government. See our full NordVPN review for a more in-depth look at its benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
In case we didn’t cover all the questions you had, here are the answers to a few additional considerations you might still be weighing.
Is NordVPN safe?
Yes, NordVPN is very safe. It uses AES-256 encryption, a high industry standard, and hides our activity behind a double VPN. A double VPN, also known as sever chaining or multi-hop, protects our IP address by encrypting web activity twice as opposed to once. It ensures that our data hides from everyone, even our internet service provider.
On top of that, NordVPN does not log our IP addresses, browsing history, downloaded files, or server information. Its headquarters is in Panama, a country that is not part of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes. That means the federal government can’t require NordVPN to turn in customer data.
Is NordVPN free?
No, NordVPN is not free. However, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and will refund customers within this time period without question. Here are the prices under normal circumstances:
Commitment Total amount billed Price per month 2 years + first 3 months free $99 $3.67 1 year $59 $4.92 1 month $11.95 $11.95
Does NordVPN keep logs?
NordVPN keeps some logs. While it does not track when we used their VPN, how long we used it for, our IP addresses, the servers we used, the websites we visited, or the files we downloaded while connected, it does keep track of our email addresses, payment data, the timestamps of our last sessions, customer service information, and how we used the NordVPN site.
Does NordVPN have a kill switch?
Yes, NordVPN has a kill switch that disables internet access for the whole system, including web browsers and web apps, if you lose your VPN connection.
NSA. (2018). Data at Rest Capability Package. nsa.gov/Portals/70/documents/resources/everyone/csfc/capability-packages/dar-cp.pdf
Business Leader. (2019). Five Eyes Alliance: Everything You Need to Know.
NordVPN. (2021). How can I reach NordVPN customer support?