How Much Does NordVPN Cost?
Let's discuss NordVPN's pricing and how to get the lowest prices available
- Subscription plans start at $78.96 for a two-year commitment.
- Each plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Students can receive a 15-percent discount for a two-year plan.
NordVPN just completed another third-party audit to ensure transparency and show its commitment to privacy. This is the second audit announced by NordVPN this year, and it focused on the security of its apps and servers. The auditing firm Cure53 conducted penetration tests and source code edits to see if the Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS apps are secure, and the results are positive.
The internet as we know it offers little to no privacy. Our internet providers can see what we do online, advertisers and marketers can track our online purchases and searches, and it’s all but confirmed that the government is tracking our every move on the web. That’s why cybersecurity experts around the globe recommend using a VPN.
Fortunately, you can reclaim your privacy by using a virtual private network, or VPN for short. VPNs provide privacy by encrypting online traffic and hiding users’ IP addresses. This creates a secure tunnel that blankets online activities so only you will know what you’re doing online. One VPN in particular, NordVPN, has been working tirelessly to make a safer and more private online experience possible.
Below, we’ll go through NordVPN’s best features, pricing, subscription options, as well as discuss what we think of NordVPN value-wise.
|1-month subscription cost||$11.99|
|1-year subscription cost||$59.88|
|2-year subscription cost||$95.76|
|Money-back guarantee length||30 days|
|Payment options||Major credit cards, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, UnionPay, ACH Transfer, and cryptocurrencies|
How Much Does NordVPN Cost?
Nord Security, the parent company of NordVPN, offers several digital security products, including a secure cloud storage and password manager. And since NordVPN wants to make the internet a safer place, it offers subscriptions that bundle those products with its VPN.
Prices for NordVPN range from $3.99 to $13.99 per month, depending on the length of subscription and your plan. There are three plans total: Standard, Plus, and Complete, and you can sign up either monthly, yearly, or every two years with any of the plans.
The Standard plan is a standard VPN plan. It lets you access NordVPN’s VPN service but nothing more, and that’s why it’s the cheapest of the three subscriptions.
The Plus plan includes access to Nord’s password manager, NordPass, in addition to the VPN. If you don’t have a password manager yet, bundling it with a VPN makes sense, particularly since the Plus plan from NordVPN only costs about a dollar more than the Standard plan. Password managers typically cost about $3 to $5 per month, so you’ll enjoy significant savings if you go with this plan.
Lastly, the Complete plan is a combination of NordVPN, NordPass, and NordLocker, a secure cloud backup that encrypts every file stored in it. The Complete plan includes 1 TB of encrypted cloud storage.
Here are their prices:
With NordVPN, it pays to sign up for a longer period. The two-year Standard plan, for instance, breaks down to $4.19 per month, roughly $8 cheaper than the monthly Standard plan. Just imagine how much you’ll save over the course of two years — almost $200.
That said, choosing a VPN isn’t only about finding the cheapest option or the one that offers the biggest savings. It’s about finding a secure, private, and reliable VPN. If you haven’t already, give our NordVPN review a read and you’ll find out why it’s one of our top VPNs.
Deals and Discounts
Besides signing up for long-term subscriptions, you can find deals on NordVPN’s website most of the time. Pay our page on NordVPN deals a visit for ideas on how to find the best deals, such as during special holidays like Black Friday, Christmas, and Independence Day. NordVPN deals change all the time, so you need to know how to time your purchase to enjoy the biggest discounts.
There is, however, a permanent discount for students. NordVPN, which is one of the best VPNs for school, offers students an additional 15 percent discount for two-year plans through Student Beans and Youth Discount.
The discount is also available through Descuento Estudiante, which is for students in the E.U. and South America.
Even without discounts, though, NordVPN is still one of the best-value VPNs. Price-wise, NordVPN’s pricing is in line with VPN prices from the competition. In fact, it may even be considered an affordable option. ExpressVPN subscriptions, for instance, start at $8.32 per month, almost double the cost of NordVPN’s two-year plan. And while NordVPN is slightly pricier than, let’s say, IPVanish’s $3.99 yearly plan, the extra cost is worth it given that NordVPN includes the features below.
- Speedy internet with no throttling or bandwidth limits
- 256-bit AES encryption
- No logging of IP addresses, servers, websites, or files you visit
- Ability to stream
- Protection of mobile devices
- Malware, malicious sites, ads, and trackers blocking
- 5,200 plus servers in 60 countries
- Coverage of six devices at once
- Apps that are compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Firefox, Chrome, and Linux browsers and devices
- Automatic kill switch
- Dedicated IP address
- P2P sharing
- Masking of our IP addresses
- Double VPN that hides activity behind two encrypted servers
- Onion Over VPN; this feature sends our web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, which gives us more security as we browse.
- Enhanced security to block ads, suspicious sites, and malware
- Browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- Worldwide access
- Split tunneling
- 24/7 customer support
That is a long list of features, but let’s zoom in on the best NordVPN features we tested. Here’s a highlight reel:
- Global coverage: NordVPN’s reach is far and wide. It has over 5,500 servers and counting, and it has both physical and virtual servers in about 60 countries and over 100 locations. While you likely will not use every single one of those servers and locations, it’s nice to know that wherever you may end up using NordVPN, there’s always a server near you ready to provide lightning fast speeds.
- Connect up to six devices at the same time: Most Americans have more than one device, and thanks to NordVPN’s support for up to six simultaneous connections, you can protect all your devices without buying a second subscription.
- Strong encryption: NordVPN used AES-256 encryption, which is what the NSA recommends1 and what the U.S. government uses to encrypt top-secret messages.
- Minimal logging: NordVPN did not collect data like our IP addresses, the servers we used, the websites we visited, or the files we downloaded. And, because its headquarters is based in Panama, it’s not part of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or Fourteen Eyes2. PricewaterhouseCoopers even audited NordVPN and confirmed that its policy description was fair and accurate.
Pro Tip: Pay attention to where a VPN company’s headquarters is. NordVPN’s headquarters is in Panama, so it isn’t under the jurisdiction of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes. This means NordVPN doesn’t need to share your information with the government.
- Ultra-fast streaming: There’s no throttling or monthly caps on network bandwidth, so we could binge-watch our favorite shows with no restraint. Needless to say, we watched Netflix with our VPN a lot, especially since NordVPN let us change our Netflix region.
- Automatic kill switch: If our VPN connection accidentally dropped due to something like an unstable Internet connection or a server failure, the kill switch activated and blocked our device from accessing an insecure Internet.
- A dedicated IP: NordVPN gave us our own IP address. That meant we achieved secure and convenient online payments and avoided CAPTCHAs. Also, we avoided getting put on blacklists; that can happen sometimes when using shared IP addresses, which is usually the case with other VPNs.
- P2P sharing is possible: We shared data amongst our team quickly and directly. NordVPN is one of our top-rated VPNs for torrenting, especially if privacy is a priority for you. However, sharing our data meant we saw each others’ IP addresses, so that’s something to keep in mind.
- Double VPN: Two servers hid our activity. This concept, known as VPN server chaining or multi-hop, enhanced our security, protected and hid our IP addresses, and hid where we went on the internet from everyone, even our internet service provider. It’s not a feature everybody will use, especially since it slows down your internet speed more significantly than a normal VPN connection, but it’s useful to journalists, whistleblowers, and those living within the jurisdiction of restrictive governments.
- NordVPN cybersec: This advanced security measure blocked websites that had reputations for hosting malware or phishing, so we felt protected from online attacks.
- Split tunneling: This newly-added feature meant some of our devices routed through the VPN tunnel, while other devices or apps connected to public networks at the same time. Split tunneling gave us more bandwidth, which we appreciated as it meant faster speeds.
- 24/7 customer support: We didn’t run into any issues when we used NordVPN, but we could access its customer support line via its robust help center archive, email support, and live chat features.
Did You Know: Not all VPNs allow torrenting. Because NordVPN offers double encryption, six simultaneous connections per subscription, and split tunneling, it’s a great option if you need to use a VPN to torrent large files.
Can I Try NordVPN for Free?
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. So, while it doesn’t offer a traditional free trial period like many other free trial VPNs, we still got the chance to give NordVPN a try with no risk.
It’s worth mentioning that NordVPN charged our cards right away, but the first 30 days were completely risk-free, so we could have canceled for any reason. NordVPN impressed us so much that we never considered canceling. However, if we had felt differently, all we would have done was contact customer support to get our cancellation started.
Watch Out: While NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, it can’t issue refunds if you purchased a plan or product on Apple’s app store. However, you can get in touch with Apple’s support directly if you want a refund.
NordVPN accepts a number of payment methods, including credit cards and cryptocurrencies.
How Can I Cancel?
We never intended to cancel our subscription, but if we wanted to, we could have canceled our VPN subscription through NordVPN’s website. Here’s how to cancel your NordVPN subscription:
- Sign in to your account.
- Find your Dashboard tab.
- Click the Menu symbol.
- Click Cancel Automatic Payments. This will allow you to cancel a recurring payment, but it will not issue any refunds.
- If you’d like a refund, you’ll need to contact customer support via email or live chat to cancel your account. Contact customer support through the email or chat buttons on NordVPN’s website.3
- Check your inbox for a confirmation email.
NordVPN spread its 5,234 servers across 60 countries. This is important because it means we can access the internet from anywhere. The more servers, the better chances we have of never running into slow internet speeds, which is our personal nightmare. NordVPN has servers in:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs, and for good reasons. It offers a one-size-fits-all solution for anyone looking to cover their digital footprints. Also, it offers pricing to fit any budget.
With a variety of pricing options, NordVPN is one of the cheaper VPNs out there, especially if you are down for a longer-term commitment. We love that NordVPN is headquartered in Panama; it puts our minds at rest that it won’t share our data with the federal government. See our full NordVPN review for a more in-depth look at its benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
In case we didn’t cover all the questions you had, here are the answers to a few additional considerations you might still be weighing.
Is NordVPN safe?
Yes, NordVPN is very safe. It uses AES-256 encryption, a high industry standard, and hides our activity behind a double VPN. A double VPN, also known as sever chaining or multi-hop, protects our IP address by encrypting web activity twice as opposed to once. It ensures that our data hides from everyone, even our internet service provider.
On top of that, NordVPN does not log our IP addresses, browsing history, downloaded files, or server information. Its headquarters is in Panama, a country that is not part of any international surveillance alliances like Five Eyes. That means the federal government can’t require NordVPN to turn in customer data.
Is NordVPN free?
No, NordVPN is not free. However, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and will refund customers within this time period without question. Here are the prices under normal circumstances:
Commitment Total amount billed Price per month 2 years $95.76 $3.99 1 year $59.88 $4.99 1 month $11.99 $11.99
Does NordVPN keep logs?
NordVPN keeps some logs. While it does not track when we used their VPN, how long we used it for, our IP addresses, the servers we used, the websites we visited, or the files we downloaded while connected, it does keep track of our email addresses, payment data, the timestamps of our last sessions, customer service information, and how we used the NordVPN site.
Does NordVPN have a kill switch?
Yes, NordVPN has a kill switch that disables internet access for the whole system, including web browsers and web apps, if you lose your VPN connection.
NSA. (2018). Data at Rest Capability Package. nsa.gov/Portals/70/documents/resources/everyone/csfc/capability-packages/dar-cp.pdf
Business Leader. (2019). Five Eyes Alliance: Everything You Need to Know.
NordVPN. (2021). How can I reach NordVPN customer support?