If you’re in the market for a home security system with professional monitoring, you can’t do much better than ADT. The company provides more monitoring centers across the U.S. than any other company. At the same time, the Pulse app gives you complete control over your ADT system. You can get even more control by integrating your ADT system into your Echo device. Use your voice to turn your system on, or have Alexa listen for the sound of your carbon monoxide alarm when you’re away.
- 24/7 professional monitoring with every plan
- 145+ years of experience
- User-friendly Pulse app
ADT Alexa Skills
- Alexa, arm ADT
- Alexa, turn on the bedroom light
- Alexa, turn down the kitchen temperature
- Alexa, unlock the front door
In addition to commands like these, Alexa recognizes names that you assign to your devices in the ADT Pulse app. That means you can call your office glass break sensor “Glassy” if you want to, and Alexa will still know what you mean when you say “Turn Glassy on.” We were most impressed, though, by ADT’s ability to use Alexa’s listening skills. When you’re away from home, Alexa will listen for your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and keep you updated with audio clips.
Of course, it’s not a perfect system, but ADT is a great pick for smart home security. Their systems are tried and true, and no other brand can hold a candle to their 24/7 professional monitoring.
Cove is known not only for its Alexa integration, but also for its affordable pricing. With 24/7 professional monitoring and cellular backup starting at just $17.99 a month, it doesn’t cost a lot to start off with Cove, although prices go to $27.99 a month with the Alexa integration and remote control of the system. Still, these prices are lower than many other companies on this list, and their equipment is relatively affordable, as well.
- Low equipment and monitoring prices
- Cellular and battery backup
- Protection against smashing and grabbing
- Cove Alexa Skill
Using Alexa, we had our Cove system:
- Arm in away mode
- Ask for alarm status
We got the Alexa integration when we upgraded to Cove Plus; unfortunately, the Basic plan doesn’t include Alexa integration, or Google Home integration, for that matter. That being said, once we got it set up, it made it easy for us to quickly exit our home and arm our security system, hands-free. We think this integration is well worth its $27.99 a month price tag, along with remote control of our system.
Vivint home security is professionally installed and monitored long-term. It’s a high-quality option for those who want security, environmental monitoring, and home automation.
Compared with other favorite security companies, Vivint makes it especially easy to create “environments” or scenes; with one short phrase, you can order multiple actions. Set up a Movie Night scene, a Good Morning scene, and so forth.
- Professional installation
- Pro monitoring 24/7
- Best Alexa environmental controls
- Vivint Alexa Skills
Two Vivint Alexa skills are available for customers in the USA: Complete and Basic.
|Complete smart home compatibility
||Basic smart home compatibility
|Standard door locks
The Complete skill can arm your home security system and adjust:
- Standard door locks
- Garage doors
With Complete you’ll ask Alexa to pass a message, e.g., “Alexa, tell Vivint to lock my front door.” With Vivint Smart Home you can speak directly to the system.
The Basic Vivint skill works exclusively with lights and thermostats. Sample commands are “Dim my lights” and “Set my AC to 68 degrees.”
SimpliSafe is popular for combining DIY installation with no-contract monitoring. Many customers choose SimpliSafe for no-monthly-fee home security, but SimpliSafe has an affordable paid option with Amazon Echo integration too. They make some of the easiest systems to set up for home security with Alexa.
Alexa is available with SimpliSafe’s Interactive Plan. As explained below, the Alexa SimpliSafe skill is very basic. However, this paid plan also provides 24/7 professional monitoring. SimpliSafe Interactive costs $27.99 per month, no contract required.
With no contract required, SimpliSafe is one of the best home security companies for renters in particular. Read about all of the plans from SimpliSafe.
- DIY installation
- No contract required
- Alexa available month-to-month
SimpliSafe Alexa Skill
The SimpliSafe Alexa skill is basic. It lets you:
- Set Home Mode
- Set Away Mode
- Ask about system status
You can choose from several phrases for an action. For example, to activate Home Mode you could say:
- Alexa, tell SimpliSafe to lock up.
- Alexa, tell SimpliSafe I’m going to bed.
In addition to supporting basic Alexa, the Interactive plan gives access to text and email alerts. It also lets you get alerted when certain parts of your home are accessed. For instance, you can hear a chime or get a silent alert (via text/email) when someone opens your mailbox, medicine cabinet, or bedroom door.
SimpliSafe is highly rated for its straightforward policies and effective security equipment. It’s one of the best security companies that works with Alexa without requiring a long-term contract.
5. Ring Alarm Security Kit
Ring, like Alexa, is an Amazon-owned company. They offer some of the best video doorbells and other home security cameras that work seamlessly with Alexa or Amazon Echo. You can also connect smart door locks and lights from third parties. Customers self-install Ring cameras and other components, then choose DIY or pro monitoring.
- Do-it-yourself video monitoring requires a small monthly payment ($3) per camera.
- Ring Protect Plus, which enables unlimited cloud recording for all Ring cameras, costs just $10 per month.
- Ring Protect Pro offers the same cloud storage as Ring Protect Plus, plus professional monitoring of Ring Alarm.
Ring doorbells, indoor cameras, and outdoor cameras all have two-way voice to let you chat with family members or holler at intruders. The brand’s best-known products are video doorbells, with five choices that can be hardwired and/or battery-powered.
Other Ring cameras, including outdoor security cameras, require no wiring for setup. They have night vision, HD resolution, and audio enhancement to filter voices from other sounds. Two popular Ring cameras are:
- Floodlight Cam with LED lights, motion sensor, siren, and two-way voice
- Stick Up Cam with motion sensor, siren, and two-way voice; for indoor & outdoor use
All Ring cameras have rechargeable batteries. Depending on use, the batteries tend to serve for six months to a year before recharging is needed. An even lower-maintenance option is to upgrade Ring security cameras with solar chargers.
Ring Security Perks
- DIY installation
- Low-cost DIY video security
- Best Alexa camera controls
Ring Alexa Skill
The Ring Alexa skill works with all Ring video doorbells and cameras. It also works with:
- Z-wave door locks (300-series) by third parties
- Fire TV, tablets and stick
- Echo Show & Echo Spot (smart speakers with screens)
- Smart lights
With Ring camera integration, here are some typical commands:
- “Alexa, answer the front door.”
- “Alexa, show me the last activity from the front door.”
- “Alexa, pause” (during playback of a video clip)
If you like, you can invite police, neighbors, or others to “drop-in” on your Ring account to see security clips. You can also use Ring’s Neighborhood app, which is a neighborhood crime watch app that connects with Ring and local police.
Smart lights are included in the Amazon Alexa security bundle. Sample commands are “Alexa, dim my kitchen lights” and “Alexa, turn on motion sensor on balcony lights.” You can also get creative and set scenes that combine sets of lights and/or other equipment.
With smart locks, you can check their status anytime. No problem if you’re in the shower or away from home! “Alexa, are my doors locked?” You can even add smart locks to Ring if you’re a renter; the compatible brand August works with existing deadbolt locks.
To arm, you can simply say, “Alexa, arm my system.” Ring Alexa allows voice disarming with a four-digit PIN. Be aware that if you set a PIN, then it can be used by anyone. This could be convenient (for your babysitter, for example) but the option should be used with caution. You can change/cancel your PIN anytime, and you can also track PIN use in real-time with the Ring app.
Frontpoint monitors security systems that customers easily self-install. For years the company has thrived thanks to reliable security equipment and excellent customer service. Now they have extra appeal with the best Alexa skills!
We say Frontpoint has “best Alexa skills” because connected security cameras can be voice-controlled. You can pan a camera, for example. For comparison, some other Alexa-friendly security companies only support simpler equipment such as door locks.
For $49.99/month the Frontpoint Ultimate Plan supports advanced Alexa skills while also providing 24/7 pro monitoring. The plan can support home security, environmental sensors such as smoke detectors, and home automation. The Ultimate service agreement is available with 12-month and 36-month contracts.
- DIY setup (no installation fee)
- Excellent pro monitoring
- Alexa for security cameras
Frontpoint Alexa Skill
Frontpoint customers with the Ultimate Plan can connect with Alexa at Alarm.com. Here are examples of Frontpoint Alexa skill functions:
- Activate cameras. By default, your home security cameras might be motion-activated. However, with Alexa, you can instruct a Frontpoint camera to record anytime. Use a phrase like “Alexa, ask Frontpoint to record a clip with the kitchen camera.” You can also make cameras move! “Alexa, ask Frontpoint to pan the living room camera to the fireplace.”
- Use a smart doorbell. The Frontpoint video doorbell, Skybell, is triggered by motion. Alexa lets you speak with visitors and give the impression that you’re home, wherever you might be. The Alexa skill also lets you disable the Skybell motion detector, turn off the alert chime, and take snapshots or videos of your doorstep.
- Set a scene. An Alexa scene is a combination of actions. With a scene, you can activate more than one smart home device at once. For instance, with Frontpoint security you could create a “Good Night” scene activated by a single phrase. This scene could adjust lights, temperature, and locks and ensure that your home alarm system is activated.
Frontpoint provides a 30-day risk-free trial period. As mentioned above, this home security company is known for its excellent customer service. Also, they won’t surprise you with unexpected charges; with Frontpoint, pricing is straightforward.