Norton Antivirus FAQs: What You Need to Know
We’ve answered all of your questions about this controversial antivirus software.
- Antivirus software is available on its own or bundled with credit monitoring, parental controls, VPNs, etc.
- Prices start at $1.24 a month, billed yearly
- Plans available for iOS, macOS, Windows and Android devices
Of all antivirus software, Norton has to be the most controversial. From class-action lawsuits to software vulnerabilities, there is a ton of debate about the merits (or lack thereof) of Norton Antivirus. But how good is the actual antivirus as software? After testing it out over many months, we’ve answered the questions we get the most from our readers.
What Norton antivirus should I buy?
The Norton antivirus you should buy is Norton 360 with LifeLock. Unlike other lower-tier subscriptions, this plan includes all of these features:
- Identity alerts
- Identity restoration
- Credit monitoring
- Dark web monitoring
- Stolen wallet protection
- $1 million protection package
- Social Security number and credit alerts
- Identity verification monitoring
- Data breach monitoring
Why is Norton bad?
Norton has received criticism due to its history of legal troubles. These are some examples:
- Double billing: Norton’s parent company, formerly called Symantec, had to pay $10 million in 2013 for billing customers twice.1
- Scare tactics: In 2012, Norton faced a class-action lawsuit for defrauding customers, eventually settling for $11 million.
- Software vulnerabilities: Last but certainly not least, in 2018, Symantec faced yet another class-action lawsuit over antivirus software vulnerabilities. This lawsuit is ongoing, unfortunately for Norton and its customers.2
- Can Norton stop hackers?
Who owns Norton Antivirus?
NortonLifeLock owns Norton Antivirus. The company was formerly known as the Symantec Corporation.
Where is Norton Antivirus made?
Norton Antivirus is made in Tempe, Arizona, the headquarters of NortonLifeLock.
How do I disable Norton Antivirus?
Follow these steps to disable Norton Antivirus on a Windows computer:
- Log on to your PC’s administrator account.
- Open the Taskbar.
- Right-click the Norton icon.
- Click “Disable Auto-Protect.” A security request window will open.
- Under the drop-down menu, click “Select the Duration.” Choose how long you want to disable the service.
- Click “OK.”
Follow these steps to disable the antivirus on a Mac computer:
- Open the Norton app.
- In the My Norton window (if it opens), click “Open” next to “Device Security.”
- In the main window, click either “Advanced” or “Settings.”
- On the left, select “Protect My Mac.”
- In the row that says “Automatic Scans,” toggle the switch to off.
- On the left, click “Firewall.”
- In the rows that say “Vulnerability Protection” and “Connection Blocking,” toggle the switch to off.
How much does Norton Antivirus cost?
Plans AntiVirus Plus Norton 360 Deluxe Norton 360 Premium I Norton Select Monthly price for the first year None None None $9.99 Monthly price with annual plans for the first year $1.25 $2.92 $4.17 $8.29 Total annual cost for the first year $14.99 $34.99 $49.99 $99.48 Annual discount for the first year $45 $70 $75 $50.51
Who makes Norton Antivirus?
A company called NortonLifeLock makes Norton Antivirus.
FYI: NortonLifeLock used to be called the Symantec Corporation.
How do I cancel Norton Antivirus?
To cancel your antivirus subscription:
- Go to Norton’s website.
- Sign in to your account.
- Click “My Accounts.”
- Next to your antivirus software subscription, click “Cancel Subscription Renewal.”
- Click “Confirm.”
NOTE: Once you cancel, you will still be able to use Norton Antivirus until the end of your last paid billing period.
How do I get Norton Antivirus for free?
You can get Norton Antivirus for free for seven days with any subscription plan. However, after the first week, your card will be charged, so if you don’t want to pay, make sure to cancel within seven days of entering your card details.
Where do I buy Norton Antivirus?
You can buy the antivirus security software on Norton’s website, Amazon, Best Buy, Staples, and other online and in-person retailers. Once you buy the software, you can download and install it on your devices.
That’s all we have for our Norton FAQs, but if you want to learn more about our experience testing out the software, read our Norton Antivirus review. Otherwise, read our page on the best antivirus software for more options.
Law360. (2013). Symantec Will Pay $10M To End Software Double-Billing Suit.
BLB&G. (2018). Felix v. Symantec Corporation et al.