Norton Secure VPN Review
What We Like
- Flexible, Competitive Pricing: One of the major pros of Norton Secure is its price point. Plans are tiered out based on how many devices you’d like to cover with the VPN, with individual devices costing only $4.99 per month. If you were to sign up for an annual plan, which we would recommend, that price can be knocked down to a little more than $3 per month. That’s a pretty solid price point for the market.
- Professional-Grade Customer Support: Because Norton is such a big company with nearly 11,000 employees worldwide,1 their customer support provides a top-tier resource, especially for the less tech-savvy user. We were really impressed with their online knowledge base, live chat, and 24/7 phone support, a total anomaly for most VPN companies.
- Built-In Ad Tracker Blocking: The Secure VPN doesn’t outright block ads, but we appreciated that it had an integrated ad tracker blocker, which stopped advertisers from tracking our movement around the websites we visited.
What We Don't Like
- No PC Kill Switch: A kill switch in a VPN shuts down your online activity should you lose connection. We were disappointed that Norton Secure VPN only featured a kill switch on its Android app.
- Lackluster Streaming Support: One of the major bonuses of using a VPN is gaining access to other countries’ streaming service libraries. We found the ability to access streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, Disney+, HBO Max, and more) inconsistent at best, with some of the services working with the VPN in some regions but not others.
- No P2P or BitTorrent Support: While many VPNs offer peer-to-peer and torrent downloading on specified servers, Norton Secure VPN has a blanket ban on this type of file sharing, which is disappointing.
Bottom LineA subscription to Norton Secure VPN will encrypt your web traffic on one, five or 10 different devices.
Info Security. (2020). Layoffs Planned at NortonLifeLock.
NetStandard. (2020). Virtual Servers for Dummies.
Youtube. (2016). Netflix Q1 2016 Earnings Interview.