McAfee Identity Theft Protection Review 2022
Identity protection from a reputable antivirus company
What We Like
- Robust device protection: Identity theft protection coupled with antivirus software and a virtual private network (VPN) provides protection against identity theft.
- All-in-one pricing: All identity and device protection features are covered in McAfee's comprehensive Total Protection Advanced plan.
- Personal data removal: McAfee scans for your personal data in risky data broker sites and removes it to limit your data exposure, thus reducing the risk of identity theft.
What We Don't Like
- Lacks credit monitoring: McAfee doesn't monitor credit scores or credit reports, which is an important identity theft protection feature.
- Auto-renewal is needed: By default, McAfee monitors only email addresses found on the dark web. To activate other types of monitoring, such as Social Security number and health ID monitoring, you need to sign up for auto-renewal.
- Customer support: McAfee's customer support is trained to respond to antivirus-related queries, making it a bit more difficult to get more information about identity protection.
Bottom LineMcAfee backs up its identity theft protection with comprehensive device and network protection. It is a solid mid-tier service, but there are still some things lacking, such as credit monitoring.
Symantec. (2019). ISTR Internet Security Threat Report. docs.broadcom.com/doc/istr-24-2019-en
Javelin. (2022). 2017 Identity Fraud: Securing the Connected Life. https://www.javelinstrategy.com/research/2017-identity-fraud-securing-connected-life
NBC San Diego. (2021). What Happens After Your Identity is Stolen?. https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/investigations/nbc-7-responds/what-happens-after-your-identity-is-stolen/2615148/