Abode Security System
- Flexible monitoring options
- All-in-one CUE home automation
- Extensive equipment offerings
If you’re looking for a home security company that offers professional-level service without required contracts or hidden fees, many experts recommend Abode Home Security. Plans are available for customers throughout the United States and Canada. This company was founded in San Francisco in 2014 by a former ADT executive. It works closely with Nice, an internationally renowned security and home automation firm based in Italy.
Abode Home Security customers can choose between self-monitoring and professional monitoring. With the latter option, your home will be monitored by a staff member 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and you will receive an immediate alert when your alarm goes off or security concerns are detected. If you are not available to disarm the alarm, local law enforcement will be dispatched to your home.
With self-monitoring, you log in to the Abode Home Security web platform or smartphone app so you can monitor your home from work, school, activities or vacation. With the included cellular backup, you’ll never lose the ability to monitor your home even when traveling out of your provider’s coverage range.
The Abode Custom Engine serves as the brain of your household, automating not just the security system but also other smart home accessories and features. This functionality lets you create commands such as turning on your outside lights when you come home at night or adjusting the temperature at your usual bedtime. Abode systems integrate with other popular smart home systems and apps, including but not limited to Amazon Alexa, Nest and Google Home.
The Basic plan from Abode includes the following:
- Free self-monitoring through a dedicated web and smartphone app
- Media and timeline storage for three days
- The ability to connect up to 160 devices, unlimited user accounts and up to 100 automated actions
- Access to phone, email and online customer support
The Connect plan includes all features in the Basic plan plus these:
- Self-monitoring with cellular backup
- Media and timeline storage for 14 days
- 4G cellular connection to provide backup when home internet services are down
The Secure plan includes all features of the Connect plan plus these:
- Professional monitoring 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with cellular backup
- Media and timeline storage for 90 days
- Unlimited warranty for purchased security devices
- Premium phone support through the security monitoring center
- Free ground shipping for device purchases
Both the Basic and Connect plans can be upgraded with on-demand professional monitoring for vacation, travel and busy periods ($8 for three days, $15 for seven days).
Abode Home Security customers can choose between three simple plans based on their needs. Plans can be canceled, upgraded or modified at any time based on the client’s changing home security requirements.
|Free with every purchase of an Abode Home Security Starter Kit||$3.30 per month, paid in one payment of $39.60 for the year, along with a one-time Starter Kit purchase. Monthly contracts start at $6.30 per month.||$8.30 per month, paid in one payment of $99.60 for the year, along with a one-time Starter Kit purchase. Monthly contracts start at $16.30 per month.|
Each plan requires a one-time purchase of a security kit. Clients currently have two options:
|Smart Security Kit||Iota All-in-One Security Kit|
|$199 plus the cost of your plan||$229 plus the cost of your plan|
The Smart Security Kit includes these:
- One gateway, which communicates with your home’s wireless devices and provides immediate notification when a security breach is detected. It can also be used to control integrated smart home features such as lights, locks, thermostat and entertainment systems.
- One motion sensor with adjustable sensitivity. It can detect motion in a field up to 100 degrees.
- One key fob. Attach it to your keys or wallet so you can arm or disarm your security system in seconds.
- One mini door sensor. This device adds extra protection to any entryway in your home.
- One “Secured by Adobe” sticker. Let would-be intruders know that your home is protected.
The Iota Kit includes these:
- One Iota all-in-one HD gateway. This device acts as your home security control center, providing video capture, a two-way radio, wireless communication with all your attached devices and immediate alerts when the system is triggered.
- One key fob
- One mini door or window sensor
Both kits can be customized for your needs with add-on devices, including door and window sensors, sirens, yard sides, smoke and water sensors, glass break sensors, cameras and smart home integration.
To get started, click the “Build Your System” link at the top of the Abode website. You’ll be asked whether the system will be for a home, apartment building or business location. Next, select the square footage of the property you plan to protect, the number of doors with external access to the home, the number of windows on the first floor and whether you want photo or video capture, cellular backup and/or professional monitoring.
Abode will use this information to determine the best system for your needs. You will be taken to your shopping cart and can customize the suggestions based on your preferences, then check out.
Abode systems are designed for easy, intuitive self-installation. However, professional installation is available for those who prefer to have their security system installed by a technician. This service starts at $99 for installation of the starter kit, with an additional $25 charge for up to five integrated devices.
Abode customers can access extensive online support resources for the company’s plans and devices. Customers at the highest plan level have access to a dedicated support line.
Smart home enthusiasts will appreciate the ability to connect the Abode system with all their existing gadgets for seamless monitoring and automation. Clients can choose from a robust, customizable set of features at an affordable cost. Access to free self-monitoring with purchase of a starter kit is ideal for those who are concerned about home security but wary of committing to another monthly bill. Abode Home Security is a trusted provider that has earned an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.