Xfinity Home Security Review
Our experts tested out the Base Home System from Xfinity, and here's how well it worked.
What We Like
- Affordable professional monitoring: Depending on which plan you choose, the monthly monitoring cost is only $30 to $40 a month.
- Works with other IoT devices: Xfinity has partnerships with other Internet of Things companies like LIFX, Philips Hue, August, Kwikset, and more, allowing for convenient home automation.
- Cellular backup: Xfinity’s monthly fee covers cellular backup, ensuring that your system is on even if the power is not.
What We Don't Like
- No self-monitoring: There’s no way to avoid monthly fees with Xfinity, even if you pay for your equipment upfront.
- No integrations with voice assistants: We couldn’t use Alexa or Google Assistant to control our Xfinity security system hands-free.
- Professional installation required: The motion and door/ window sensors, part of all of Xfinityt’s systems, need to be professionally installed for a fee.
Bottom LineMost people know Xfinity as a cable and Internet provider, but they also offer a home security system with affordable professional monitoring. The $30 to $40 a month fee also covers cellular backup, which kept our system on even when the power went out.
ResearchGate. (2016). An Investigative Study for Smart Home Security.
Rutgers. (2009). Rutgers Study Finds Alarm Systems Are Valuable Crime Fighting Tool. rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-study-finds-alarm-systems-are-valuable-crime-fighting-tool