Basic ID theft protection and credit monitoring backed by Experian
- Range of social monitoring features
- Affordable plans start at just $9.99/mo.
- Owned by major credit bureau Experian
IDnotify, an Experian service, delivers a basic identity theft protection service and credit monitoring plan. It helps you identify the potential misuse of your personal information and walk you through the steps of fixing it if you end up in this situation.
IDnotify is part of Experian, which puts this identity protection service in the control of one of the big three credit bureaus in the United States. It tracks a broad range of data points to discover whether your identity is at risk of being stolen, or is already compromised. It also offers several useful features for monitoring your credit and improving your financial literacy.
IDnotify has 24/7/365 customer service and identity theft resolution assistance, although the company has mixed reviews on the quality of the customer service received. You can reach out via email and phone.
In the event that your identity is compromised or has been stolen, you will work directly with an identity restoration specialist. These specialists have a background in knowing your legal rights as a consumer in these circumstances, the processes needed for restoring your identity back to normal, and certification in relevant areas.
Features, Services, and Plans
IDnotify does not skimp on the areas that it tracks to see whether your personal information is floating around on the Internet. The primary goal of this comprehensive coverage is to act quickly if identity theft is detected or if your personal information is available through illegal channels. Time is of the essence in this situation, and the faster you can lock down your accounts, the less damage a malicious actor can do.
The Internet Surveillance feature goes through thousands of websites, including those on the Dark Web, and processes millions of data points to determine whether you’re at risk. This identity theft protection service goes beyond the basic scans. Advanced surveillance will look through forums, chat rooms, and other locations that hackers gather to trade information. The company also monitors social networks for personal information, and whether any content relates to you that would damage your reputation. For reputational damage, IDnotify looks for mentions of sex, drugs, alcohol, and cursing.
IDnotify will also monitor financial accounts for potential takeover, changes of address, new court records, new public records, sex offender notifications, and non-loan credit accounts.
One common way that people end up getting their identity stolen is through a lost or stolen wallet. IDnotify will help you get your cards canceled and reissued in the event that this occurs.
IDnotify also provides you with credit monitoring features. You can look at your score under the VantageScore 3.0 model, which rates your creditworthiness based on a scale of 300 to 850. The higher the number, the more likely you are to get approved for credit products that you apply for. Your score updates monthly, and you can access your credit report once per year.
There are three identity protection plans available:
- Essential Plan: This $9.99 per month plan covers all the basics for identity protection and restoration only. You don’t get credit monitoring, scores, or reports through this plan. It also doesn’t include more specialized personal information monitoring, nor does it include the $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage.
- Select Plan: This plan is $17.99 per month and expands the IDnotify features into credit scores and monitoring. You receive access to one credit bureau (Experian) and the associated VantageScore. Additionally, you also get change of address, court record, court booking, and social security number monitoring.
- Premier Plan: This tier is $25.99 per month and expands your credit monitoring, credit report, and score to all three bureaus. You also receive a monthly VantageScore update, and monitoring for non-credit loans, sex offender listings, and financial account takeovers.
You can add a child onto any of these plans for $5.99 per month.
IDnotify offers identity theft insurance that is underwritten by the American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida, which is an Assurant company. The coverage goes up to $1 million and applies to the following losses and costs that may occur due to identity theft:
- Lost wages
- Lost income
- Legal fees
- Expenses associated with re-opening loans and other credit accounts
- Childcare and elderly care expenses
IDnotify is one of the more expensive options for identity protection, primarily due to the fact that it combines identity protection with credit monitoring. If you’re going to use all of the features for the selected tier, it can be worthwhile.
IDnotify has a lot of things going for it, especially when it comes to scanning less commonly monitored channels such as chat rooms, forums, and social networks. Choosing the right plan can be difficult, as the base level identity protection plan doesn’t have access to important features such as the identity theft insurance or advanced monitoring, such as non-credit loans. When you add in the differing levels of credit monitoring on top of that, it becomes an even more challenging decision. The lack of a mobile app is also odd, considering how in-depth the rest of this service is.