How To Change Your Location on Tinder
Travel around the world on Tinder without leaving your seat.
Maybe you have a trip planned for halfway around the world and want to check out your dating prospects, or maybe you’re moving and want to see if you’ll be alone forever. Whatever the reason, changing your location on Tinder is both easy and possible, whether through Tinder’s paid subscription options or through free measures. Here’s how to swipe and match in whichever city you please.
The Easiest Way To Change Your Tinder Location: Using A VPN
There are several ways to change your Tinder location, but the easiest way is using a VPN. VPNs change your virtual location by swapping your IP address for a VPN server’s IP. And because IP addresses are tied to the device’s physical location, Tinder will assume that you’re in the server’s location, so just pick a server in the location you desire. Here are the top VPNs we’ve tested on Tinder:
Other Ways To Change Tinder Location
Tinder is all about giving you dating options. As for us, we’re here to give you options when it comes to methods for changing your location on Tinder.
The Tinder-approved method of changing your location is the premium feature called Tinder Passport. We’ll detail below how to use this feature, as well as other ways to change your Tinder location (including free options).
Tinder PassportTinder Passport is a feature of Tinder’s paid subscriptions that lets you either search by city or drop a pin on the map to swipe in that location. Although you can only be in one city at a time, you can change mock locations as many times as you want. If Tinder Passport is all you care about, you’ll save the most money by signing up for Tinder Plus for a year, which breaks down to $1.67 a month. Once you’ve purchased a subscription, you can change your location in the Tinder app.
How to Change Your Location in the Tinder App
- Click on your profile icon.
- Go to Settings.
- Click “Location.”
- Click “Add New” and select a new location.1
All of Tinder’s premium plans — Tinder Plus, Tinder Gold, and Tinder Platinum — include Tinder Passport, as well as the features listed below.
|Plans||Tinder Plus||Tinder Gold||Tinder Platinum|
|See who likes you||No||Yes||Yes|
|1 free Tinder boost per month||No||Yes||Yes|
|Free super likes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Message before match||No||No||Yes|
|See likes you’ve sent||No||No||Yes|
|Monthly price with 6-month plan||$2.50||$7.50||$10|
|Total amount billed with 6-month plan||$14.99||$44.99||$59.99|
|Monthly price with 12-month plan||$1.67||$5||$6.67|
|Total amount billed with 12-month plan||$19.99||$59.99||$79.99|
The pros of purchasing a Tinder plan are obvious; you get not only the Passport feature, but also unlimited likes and rewinds, the ability to message before matching, and a ton of other great features. Plus, you won’t have to download any third-party apps. Of course, Passport is a paid-only feature, so if you don’t feel like buying yet another subscription, we’ve got some other options for you.
As mentioned earlier, our top recommendation would be to use a VPN to change your IP address. It’s easy to set up a VPN; you can set up an Android VPN or set up an iPhone VPN in minutes. While the process will differ slightly depending on the VPN you choose, here are the basic steps:
- Download the VPN app on your device.
- Log in to your account, if you’ve already made one.
- Input any necessary authentication or security codes.
- Connect to a server in the location you’d like to explore on Tinder.
Once you’re connected, your phone will think you’re in another place and show you that location’s Tinder.
Another way to hide your IP address and replace it with that of another area is to change the address on your phone manually in your app settings.
To change your IP address on an iPhone or iPad:
- Go to Settings.
- Click “Wi-Fi.”
- Click “Network.”
- Under IPv4 address, click “Configure IP.”
- Select “Manual.”
- Enter your new IP address.
On an Android:
- Go to Settings.
- Select “Wireless & Networks.”
- Choose your Wi-Fi network.
- Click “Modify Network.”
- Click “Advanced Options.”
- Click “Change Your IP Address” and enter your new address.2
Another option is to change your IP address using a third-party location app. For iOS and Android devices, we recommend the app Dr.Fone, which has a free Virtual Location feature.3 Simply add a new location on your location-changer app to view Tinder users in another area.
Think back to when you first set up your Tinder account (aka the days of innocence). Did you log in through Facebook? If so, you can change your Tinder location by changing your Facebook location.
- Go to your Facebook page.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click “Location.”
- Click “Never” so Facebook has to use your IP address to approximate your location, rather than going by your phone’s GPS data.
Of course, with this method, you’ll still need to change your IP address in some way using one of the above tactics, so it’s a bit of an extra step.
Another way to change your IP address is to use a proxy server. However, when comparing VPNs to proxies, we recommend VPNs by a long shot.
What’s the difference between proxy servers and VPNs? Well, you can only use a proxy server once to encrypt your IP address for one app. However, unlike a VPN, which hides your browsing history, proxy servers only encrypt your IP address. But if that’s all you’re looking for, and if you don’t care about data collection, you might prefer a proxy server to a VPN.
FYI: There are some free VPNs available; however, they usually limit the amount of time you can use them, the amount of data you can use, the number of servers you can connect to, etc.
Tinder Locations 101
Now that you’ve traveled the world (virtually, of course), we want to answer all of your Tinder location-related questions — and believe us, there were many.
Why Change My Tinder Location?
There’s a number of reasons why someone would want to change their Tinder location. Maybe it’s to see and message people in other countries or areas, especially if you’re going to be in those areas soon. Another advantage is that when you change locations, you’ll get a “new user” boost, and thus more views.4 There are many fish in the sea, and changing your location on Tinder only exacerbates that, increasing your chances of finding love.
How Does Tinder Track Locations?
Tinder is a location-based app, so to use it and get matches, you’ll need the app to know your location. While the company isn’t super transparent on how it access users’ locations, it does require opt-in from the users themselves. You can have the app know your location all the time, only while you’re using the app, or just one time.
Can I Change My Tinder Location?
You can change your Tinder location through several methods, including these:
- Using a VPN
- Manually changing your IP address
- Using a proxy server
- Changing your Facebook location
- Using a GPS-changing mobile app
Can I Hide My Tinder Location?
Unfortunately, there’s no way to hide your Tinder location; the point of the app is to meet people in your proximity, so if there’s no location, you can’t swipe.
How Do I Turn Off My Tinder Location?
While you can’t turn off your Tinder location, you can change it through any of the aforementioned methods.
These days, there’s a scam for everything. Tinder is no exception.
In 2020, the FTC reported that romance scams, including scams from Tinder and other dating apps, reached $304 million in total losses — a new record, as well as a 50 percent increase from 2019. It’s no wonder why, as the number of paid Tinder subscribers increased by 40 percent from the beginning of 2019 to the third quarter of 2020.6
It’s clear that Tinder is here to stay, and therefore, so are Tinder scams. Here’s what to look for, how to avoid them, and what to do if you’re caught in one.
Common Tinder Scams
These are the false premises for some of the most common Tinder scams:
- Traveling outside of the U.S.: Many scammers claim to be working on an oil rig, in the military, or in a Doctors Without Borders type of organization.
- Asking for money: Scammers may ask you for money for plane tickets, travel expenses, surgeries or other medical expenses, customs fees, gambling debts, or official travel documents like visas. They may ask you to wire money or send them gift cards or reload cards.
- Fake profiles: There’s a show called “Catfish” for a reason. Aside from making up occupations and asking you for your hard-earned cash, some people will use fake pictures or fabricated information. You might notice some inconsistencies or discrepancies. When in doubt, doing a reverse Google image search with their photos is always a good idea.
How To Avoid Tinder Scams
We’ve all had our misadventures in dating, but some scams are entirely avoidable.
- Don’t give money to people on Tinder, especially people you’ve never met. Most likely, it’s a scam and you won’t get your money back, no matter how sad their story about treating orphans in Somalia is.
- Don’t share your personally identifiable information like your full name, phone number, or mailing address. Scammers can use this information to steal your identity.
- Rather than switching to email or instant messaging, keep your messaging on Tinder.
Did You Know: According to our identity theft research, 32 percent of adults in the U.S. have had their identities stolen.
What To Do if You’ve Been Scammed on Tinder
So, you’ve fallen victim to a Tinder scam. Here are your next steps:
- Stop talking to the scammer and block all of their accounts.
- Save copies of all your communications with the scammer to serve as evidence.
- Report the scam to Tinder by going to the scammer’s profile, scrolling down, and clicking “Report.”
- Contact your bank; if you suffered any financial losses, you may be able to recoup some of your money.
- Report the scam to the FTC7 and the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).8
Whether you want to open up your dating options beyond your town or want to scout the scene in a country you’re visiting, changing your location on Tinder is a pretty straightforward experience.
Of course, Tinder isn’t the only dating app in town, although it’s the most popular.9 Many users use multiple dating apps to keep their options open, and if that’s the case for you, learn how to change your location on Bumble and how to change your location on Hinge. And remember, all’s fair in love and Tinder.
Just as swiping through dating apps can feel endless, the online dating questions keep rolling in, and we’ve got answers.
Can you alter your location on Tinder?
You can alter your location on Tinder by using Tinder Passport, a VPN, a GPS app, a proxy server, or other methods. If you change your device’s IP address, Tinder will think you are in a different location than you are.
How do I change my location on Tinder for free on iOS?
To change your location on Tinder for free on iOS:
- Download a free iOS VPN app such as Hotspot Shield, Surfshark, ProtonVPN, TunnelBear, or Windscribe.
- Create a free account.
- Sign in.
- Connect to a server in the location of your choice.
The VPN will replace your existing IP address with that of the foreign server, so the Tinder app will change your location automatically based on this new IP address.
What is a hack for changing your Tinder location?
A hack for changing your Tinder location is using a VPN or a proxy server. By changing your IP address, you’ll make Tinder think you’re in a different location.
Does my Tinder location change automatically?
Yes, your Tinder location changes automatically based on either your device’s GPS or your IP address.
Tinder. (2021). Passport.
PureVPN. (2020). How to Change Your IP Address on any device.
Dr.Fone. (2021). Homepage.
Vida Select. (2021). Tinder Passport Explained [How to Change Your Location].
Statista. (2021). Tinder: quarterly subscriber count 2015-2020.
Federal Trade Commission. ReportFraud HomePage.
Federal Bureau of Investigation. Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3.
Statista. (2021). Most popular dating apps in the U.S. 2021, by number of downloads.