SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro Review
Find out if the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro lives up to SimpliSafe’s reputation for quality.
What We Like
- Artificial intelligence: As with security cameras, artificial intelligence is an essential feature to keep annoying false alarms to a minimum. The SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro has person detection and can ignore motion from cars and animals, which meant that we received notifications only when a person walked by or approached our front door.
- 1080p HDR quality: While 1080p HD video quality is the standard among security cameras and video doorbells, we were surprised to find that the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro kicks it up a notch with HDR. HDR got rid of glare and shadows on our outdoor footage.
- 162-degree field of view: With a wider scope of our neighborhood street, we saw cars parking, joggers passing through, and lots of other events going on beyond our front door.
What We Don't Like
- No smart home integration: SimpliSafe doesn’t have any smart home integrations with its video doorbell, sadly. As proud owners of more than our fair share of smart home devices, we were pretty disappointed with this missing feature. In 2020, smart home devices reached $4.3 billion in sales. That tells us that there is definitely a high demand for products that work with voice assistants; we hope SimpliSafe can update this in the future.
- Hardwiring required: Bad news for renters: hardwiring is the only option when setting up the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro. On the bright side, installation is completely DIY and doesn’t require a professional technician, though that is an option for a fee of $79. In addition, an existing doorbell is required to set up the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro, so it may not work for all homes.
Bottom LineLike the rest of their security system, SimpliSafe impressed us when it came to their Video Doorbell Pro. Our favorite features? The camera's 1080p HD video, 162-degree field of view and clear infrared night vision, to name a few.
Statista. (2020). Smart home devices sales in the United States from 2016 to 2019.
Smart Insights. (2019). Mobile marketing statistics compilation.
Markets and Markets. (2020). Home Security System Market.