SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro Cost and Pricing
All the details on SimpliSafe’s pricing structure.
- Impressive 1080p HD image resolution
- Two-way audio for an extra layer of safety
- Simple DIY setup requires no handy skills
Coming in at less than $200, SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro is an affordable option when compared to competitors, but equipment isn’t the only cost to consider. On this page, we’ll save you from hours of tedious research by evaluating how SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro stands up against some of the video doorbell industry’s top contenders in areas such as pricing, features, smart home integrations, and monitoring and storage subscriptions.
A range of qualities earned SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro its place as a market leader. We’ve selected some of those features we appreciate most:
- No contract, no pressure: SimpliSafe’s flexible subscription plans took away the pressure of committing to yet another financial obligation. We got to choose whether or not we want a video storage subscription, 24/7 professional monitoring, or both on a monthly basis. For example, if we wanted to save money by limiting our use of our doorbell’s video storage feature to the holidays, when package theft is most rampant,1 we could do just that.
- AI sensors limit false alarms: The Video Doorbell Pro’s two artificially intelligent sensors improved the reliability of our notifications by working in tandem. One sensor detected human heat signatures while the other applied advanced motion analysis to distinguish between a person and other movement, such as an animal or vehicle. Living off of a busy street and frequently testing out different video doorbells, we’ve experienced our share of less precise sensors. We were grateful that with SimpliSafe’s doorbell our phones weren’t constantly chiming due to “visitors” that turned out to be a neighbor’s cat or a car passing by.
- Easy DIY or professional installation options: Installing our Video Doorbell Pro was both quick and easy. All in all, it took about 30 minutes to get everything set up and running. Knowing that 97% of SimpliSafe’s customers do their own installations made us far more confident going into our DIY installation. We followed the step-by-step instructions on the SimpliSafe website and didn’t need any fancy tools, only a screwdriver. While the package came with a mini Allen wrench to help with assembly, we chose to use a Phillip’s head we had at home for better grip. Although this brand is known for products that are simple for DIYers to install on their own, self-installation is not the only option. If we were short on time or preferred to have an expert to perform the installation, this service is available for a one-time fee of $79, much cheaper than the industry standard of around $100.
- 60-day money-back guarantee: SimpliSafe removes the risk from giving the Video Doorbell Pro a try with its 60-day money-back guarantee. The company will even pay for return shipping, a luxury often forgone by other companies. We liked that we had a full two months to confirm our video doorbell. We had plenty of time to ensure the device was glitch-free and that each feature met our expectations without having to stress about potentially losing our money should we need to return it.
Smart Home Integration
SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro functions effectively on its own or as part of a fully connected SimpliSafe security system with home automation. When we connected our Video Doorbell Pro with the SimpliSafe base station, it linked up with every sensor in our security system. We were impressed to learn that when a sensor detects motion while the system is armed, the Video Doorbell Pro along with our other cameras would begin recording, ensuring that we know exactly why our system was set off. As a bonus, these recordings would have provided evidence in case we need to give them to the police.
The Video Doorbell Pro syncs up with Alexa and Google Assistant, as well. That meant we were able to arm our system just by saying “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe we’re going out” or “Hey Google, arm system.” Pretty responsive for the affordable cost of just $169 for equipment and no required monthly subscription. We had no complaints.
Tip: Use SimpliSafe’s mobile app to designate motion zones and create an even more precise area of focus for the Video Doorbell Pro. Instead of investigating every movement in its field of view, we told our doorbell to ignore motion in certain areas, such as the sidewalk and street, and track it in other areas, like our front yard. As a result, we received fewer unnecessary notifications.
By 2025, experts predict the video doorbell industry will bring in a revenue of $2.83 billion yearly2 in the United States alone. Between charges for equipment and monthly fees for storage and monitoring, it’s clear that this industry is already raking in the cash. Of course, not every video doorbell is equal. To succeed, each video doorbell must find a perfect balance between costs and quality. How does the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro stack up?
The following chart compares the cost of a SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro against that of similar devices from top companies.
|SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro||$169|
|Nest Doorbell (wired)||$229|
|Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2||$249|
As you can see, the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is priced lower than most of the market, which certainly pleased us enough.
Monitoring And Storage Pricing
Flexibility is key in SimpliSafe’s value platform. We were pleased with the wide range of monitoring and storage options available with the Video Doorbell Pro, from self-monitoring and cloud storage to professional monitoring integrated with an entire SimpliSafe security system.
|Features||Free||Cloud storage for Video Doorbell Pro only||Cloud storage for 5 cameras||Standard||Interactive|
|Learn More||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan|
|Cost per month||$0.00||$4.99||$9.99||$14.99||$24.99|
|Unlimited cloud storage||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
Self Monitoring and Storage
|Cloud storage plans||Monthly price|
|Unlimited cloud storage for 1 camera||$4.99|
|Unlimited cloud storage for 5 cameras||$9.99|
|Standard monitoring plan||$14.99|
|Interactive monitoring plan||$24.99|
- Free: During the month we tested SimpliSafe’s free plan, we were able to livestream doorbell content and forgo a monthly storage or monitoring subscription altogether. We still enjoyed being able to talk to individuals who were outside our door in real time, especially when we were still in pajamas or not able to physically answer the door. We got sensor notifications as well, to make us aware anyone was outside. Like Ring video doorbells and Google’s Nest Doorbell, push notifications were free. Unfortunately, we never knew if someone stopped by while we were away, since there was no recorded content to scroll back through and find out.
- Cloud storage for one camera: With a $4.99 per month cloud storage subscription, the Video Doorbell Pro starts recording when it senses a person is at the door. SimpliSafe then stores the recordings forever. We enjoyed that we could scroll back through our recorded footage and see who’d stopped by. We also felt safer about any packages that were left outside. First, the camera served as a deterrent to any porch pirates. Most importantly, we liked that, in most cases, we’d be able to identify anyone who took our packages. To download the footage of our recorded files, we went through the SimpliSafe mobile app or website. While this lower-tier cloud storage plan offers far more possibilities than the free plan, it is still a self-monitoring only plan. That means we were responsible for keeping an eye on happenings around our home and calling emergency services should we witness a stranger casing or attempting to enter. And, of course, the $4.99 plan only gave us storage for one camera, in this case our video doorbell.
- Cloud storage for five cameras: For $9.99 per month, SimpliSafe’s second cloud plan supports storage for the Video Doorbell Pro and up to four additional cameras in our SimpliSafe security system. Again, storage was unlimited. To test out our cloud plan, we tried downloading our video footage via both the smartphone mobile app and SimpliSafe’s website on our desktop computer. Both downloads went smoothly, and we could still view our clips in HD. We thought this plan might be a great option for parents who want additional cameras to remotely check-in on older children when they’re home alone, since it provides real-time alerts and live remote viewing. Of course, like the one-camera plan, this plan is only for self-monitoring. If we had jobs that didn’t allow us to periodically check our home security cameras, it’s unlikely we’d notice a home invasion or other safety issue in time to inform emergency services prior to a crime.
Professional Monitoring and Storage
We found two professional monitoring plans that are available for the Video Doorbell Pro when it is paired with a SimpliSafe smart home security system.
- Standard: The $14.99 per month Standard plan provides around-the-clock professional monitoring for our Video Doorbell Pro and other security system components. If our system identified a problem, SimpliSafe would immediately attempt to verify the emergency with us. If we confirmed or SimpliSafe could not get a hold of us, they would call first responders on our behalf. We noticed this price is low in comparison to many other minimum home security plans such as Brinks, which starts at about $29 a month for professional monitoring and ADT, which starts at $40 per month. Nonetheless, we doubt that we’d feel comfortable choosing the Standard Plan plan, as it didn’t allow us to make any recordings with our SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro. We’d become used to the unlimited video storage with our self monitoring plans, and we had a hard time returning to a system that did not allow us to see who’d been near our home while we were away. We did, however, like that we still had mobile access to our live video doorbell feed with this plan.
- Interactive: SimpliSafe calls its second option for professional monitoring the Interactive plan. At the very least, this plan requires the purchase of a SimpliSafe base station, motion sensor, contact sensor and keypad. For $24.99 per month, we got 24/7 professional monitoring, sensor notifications whenever a guest arrived at our door, unlimited cloud storage, and the ability to remotely control our home’s security system, door lock, thermostat and lights. We loved not having to sign a long-term contract, as everything was month-to-month. We also appreciated having the option to check in on our home, but we really valued that SimpliSafe did all the work for us if an emergency came up.
Legal leverage: While SimpliSafe does not require a monthly subscription, a $5 to $10 monthly cost for a cloud storage plan might be worth it in the event of a theft or burglary. The 1080p HD recorded footage can serve as evidence, which may aid in the recovery of stolen items and/or the prosecution of lawbreakers.
A Notable Contender
To evaluate the Video Doorbell Pro’s value, we compared SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro with two of the industry’s other top video doorbell brands, Amazon’s Ring and Google’s Nest, specifically the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and the Nest Hello. The most striking financial difference between SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro and comparable competitors is its affordable equipment cost.
SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro offers competitive device pricing, marked at $169. That’s a full $60 to $80 less than the Google Nest Hello and Ring Video Doorbell Pro, costing $229 and $249, respectively.
SimpliSafe also outshines both Ring and Google Nest with its money-back guarantee. Both Ring and Google Nest only have 30-day return policies. Ring charges $5 for shipping, and Google Nest has been known to require a $35 restocking fee on all its wireless products. SimpliSafe, on the other hand, has a 60-day return policy and will send a prepaid label to cover the cost of shipping.
Month-to-month video cloud storage plans with SimpliSafe also provide low cost options, starting at $4.99 per month for unlimited storage. Comparing SimpliSafe to Ring and Nest, SimpliSafe isn’t the cheapest, but it isn’t the most expensive either. SimpliSafe’s minimum plan is slightly more expensive than Ring’s minimum $3 per month or $30 per year plan. However, SimpliSafe’s subscription is somewhat lower than Nest’s minimum plan of $6 per month or $60 for a year for 30 days of storage. So in terms of costs, SimpliSafe’s equipment is more affordable than the average, while their storage costs are straight down the middle of the road.
Is SimpliSafe the Video Doorbell For You?
All in all, we feel the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is one of top choices among today’s video doorbells. With an equipment cost of $169, the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is known for its affordability. SimpliSafe doesn’t beat its competitors in terms of the lowest cost storage, so when we wanted professional monitoring, we had to also purchase a SimpliSafe security system. Nonetheless, options for storage and professional monitoring with the SimpliSafe security system and the Video Doorbell Pro are very affordable. Backed by a 60-day money-back promise and free return shipping, we found SimpliSafe’s return policy to be better than most major competitors. With no contracts required, families on a budget, students, and renters can consider a video doorbell from SimpliSafe without the stress of a huge initial investment or long-term commitment.
We get questions all the time about Simplisafe’s Video Doorbell Pro, so we decided we’d take a little time and answer some of the most common ones.
Does SimpliSafe have a video doorbell?
Yes, SimpliSafe offers a video doorbell, the Video Doorbell Pro. Priced at $169, it includes 1080p HD resolution, a 162-degree field of view, HDR imaging, and infrared night vision.
Is there a monthly cost for theSimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro?
You can use the SimpleSafe Video Doorbell Pro for no cost. SimpliSafe’s free plan allows you to live stream video in real time. In addition, you get motion alerts. However, this plan doesn’t include video storage. You can add unlimited video storage for the doorbell for $4.99 a month or buy storage for five cameras for $9.99 a month. If you’re interested in monitoring, SimpliSafe offers its Standard Plan, for $14.99 a month. You get monitoring but no storage. Or, you can go all the way and purchase the Interactive Plan for $24.99 a month. That plan offers full 24/7 monitoring plus unlimited storage for up to 10 cameras.
Plans Free plan Unlimited cloud storage for Video Doorbell Pro Unlimited cloud storage for up to 5 cameras Standard Plan (monitoring only) Interactive Plan (monitoring and unlimited storage for up to 10 cameras) Monthly price Free $4.99 $9.99 $14.99 $24.99
Can you monitor SimpliSafe from your phone?
You can monitor SimpliSafe from your phone. All the company’s plans, even the free plan, provide motion alerts. Once you’ve received an alert, you can live stream footage and, if necessary, alert emergency services. However, to record video, you’ll need to purchase one of SimpliSafe’s storage plans. You can buy unlimited storage for the Video Doorbell Pro for $4.99 a month, or get storage for five cameras from $9.99 a month.
What is the best video doorbell?
According to our extensive research, the best video doorbells are the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2, the Nest Doorbell, the Wyze Video Doorbell, the Logitech Video Doorbell, and the Lorex Video Doorbell.
C + R Research. 2020. 2020 Package Theft Statistics Report.
Grand View Research. (2019). Doorbell Camera Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Wired, Wireless), By Distribution Channel (Online, Offline), By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2019 – 2025.