SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro
This hardwired video doorbell has 1080p HD video and clear infrared night vision.
- Impressive 1080p HD image resolution
- Two-way audio for an extra layer of safety
- Simple DIY setup requires no handy skills
Coming in at less than $200, SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro is an affordable option when compared to competitors, but their equipment isn’t the only cost to consider. On this page, we’ll save you from hours of tedious research by evaluating how SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro stands up against some of the video doorbell industry’s top contenders in areas such as pricing, features, smart home integrations, and monitoring and storage subscriptions.
A range of qualities earned SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro its place as a market leader. We’ve selected some of those features we appreciate most:
- No contract, no pressure: SimpliSafe’s flexible subscription plans take away the pressure of committing to another financial obligation by allowing us, the users, to choose whether or not we want a video storage subscription, 24/7 professional monitoring, or both on a monthly basis. We liked that SimpliSafe’s no-contract video storage plans allow us a bit of flexibility financially. For example, if we wanted to save money by limiting our use of our doorbell’s video storage feature to the holidays, when package theft is most rampant, or while we’re away on vacation each year, we can do just that.
- AI sensors limit false alarms: SimpliSafe’s two artificially intelligent sensors improved the reliability of our notifications by working in tandem. One sensor detected human heat signatures while the other applied advanced motion analysis to distinguish between a person and other movement, such as an animal or vehicle. Living off of a busy street and frequently testing out different video doorbells, we’ve experienced our share of less precise sensors. We were grateful that with SimpliSafe’s doorbell our phones weren’t constantly chiming due to “visitors” that turned out to be a neighbor’s cat or a car passing by.
- Easy DIY or professional installation options: Installing our Video Doorbell Pro was both quick and easy. All in all, it took about 30 minutes to get everything set up and running. Knowing that 97% of SimpliSafe’s customers do their own installations made us far more confident going into our DIY installation. We followed the step-by-step instructions on the SimpliSafe website and didn’t need any fancy tools, only a screwdriver. While the package came with a mini Allen wrench to help with assembly, we chose to use a Phillip’s head we had at home for better grip. Although this brand is known for products that are simple for DIYers to install on their own, self-installation is not the only option. If we were short on time or preferred to have an expert to perform the installation, this service is available for a one-time fee of $79, much cheaper than the industry standard of around $100.
- 60-day money-back guarantee: SimpliSafe removes the risk from giving the Video Doorbell Pro a try with its 60-day money-back guarantee. The company will even pay for return shipping, a luxury often forgone by other companies. We liked that we had a full two months to confirm our video doorbell was glitch-free and that each feature met our expectations without having to stress about potentially losing our money should we need to return it.
Smart Home Integration
SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro functions effectively on its own or as part of a fully connected SimpliSafe security system with home automation. When we connected our Video Doorbell Pro with the SimpliSafe base station, it linked up with every sensor in our security system. We were impressed to learn that when a sensor is triggered while the system is armed, the Video Doorbell Pro along with our other cameras begin recording, ensuring that we know exactly why our system was set off and providing potential evidence for the police.
While the Video Doorbell Pro does not sync up with or respond to voice commands from smart assistants such as Alexa or Google Assistant, we figure that for an affordable cost of $169 for equipment and no required monthly subscription, we can’t complain too much.
Tip: Use SimpliSafe’s mobile app to designate motion zones and create an even more precise area of focus for the Video Doorbell Pro. Instead of investigating every movement in its field of view, we told our doorbell to ignore motion in certain areas, such as the sidewalk and street, and track it in other areas, like our front yard. As a result, we received fewer unnecessary notifications.
By 2025, experts predict the video doorbell industry will bring in a revenue of $2.83 billion yearly in the United States alone. Between charges for equipment and monthly fees for storage and monitoring, it’s clear that this industry is already raking in the cash. Of course, not every video doorbell is equal. To succeed, each video doorbell must find a perfect balance between costs and quality. How does the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro stack up?
The following chart compares the cost of a SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro against that of similar devices from top companies.
|SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro||$169|
|August Doorbell Cam Pro||$199|
|Google Nest Hello||$229|
|Ring Video Doorbell Pro||$249|
As you can see, the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is priced lower than most of the market, which certainly pleased us enough.
Monitoring And Storage Pricing
Flexibility is key in SimpliSafe’s value platform. We were pleased with the wide range of monitoring and storage options available with the Video Doorbell Pro, from self-monitoring and cloud storage to professional monitoring integrated with an entire SimpliSafe security system.
|Free||Cloud 1 (Video Doorbell Pro only)||Cloud 2 (10 cameras)||Standard||Interactive|
|Learn More||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan||View Plan|
|Cost Per Month||$0.00||$4.99||$9.99||$14.99||$24.99|
|30-Day Cloud Storage||X||✓||✓||X||✓|
Self Monitoring and Storage
|Cloud Storage Plans||Monthly Price|
|30-day cloud storage for 1 camera||$4.99|
|30-day cloud storage for 10 cameras||$9.99|
|Standard monitoring plan||$14.99|
|Interactive monitoring plan||$24.99|
- Free: During the month we tested SimpliSafe’s free plan, we were able to livestream doorbell content and forgo a monthly storage or monitoring subscription altogether. We still enjoyed being able to talk to individuals who were outside our door in real time, especially when we were still in pajamas or not able to physically answer the door. On the other hand, we also found that choosing to go without storage has its pitfalls. For example, if someone approached our home without ringing the doorbell, we didn’t receive sensor notifications to make us aware anyone was outside. Additionally, we never knew if someone stopped by while we were away, as there was no recorded content to scroll back through and find out. We were also disappointed to learn that while Amazon’s Ring video doorbells and Google’s Nest Hello provide remote control for free, the only SimpliSafe plan that let us connect to additional devices, turn our doorbell on and off, or arm and disarm it while we were away from home was the Interactive plan, the most expensive option at $24.99 a month; but we’ll get there soon.
- Cloud one: With a $4.99 per month cloud storage subscription, the Video Doorbell Pro starts recording when it senses a person is at the door. SimpliSafe then stored the recordings for 30 days. We enjoyed that we could scroll back through our recorded footage and see who’d stopped by. We also felt safer about any packages that were left outside. First, the camera served as a deterrent to any porch pirates. Most importantly, we liked that, in most cases, we’d be able to identify anyone who took our packages. To download the footage of our record files, we went through the SimpliSafe mobile app or website. While this lower-tier cloud storage plan offers far more possibilities than the free plan, it is still a self-monitoring only plan. That means we were responsible for keeping an eye on happenings around our home and calling emergency services should we witness a stranger casing or attempting to enter. While we were much happier with storage than without, it was a let down to find out we wouldn’t receive notifications about visitors via our mobile app unless we had a professional monitoring plan.
- Cloud two: For $9.99 per month, SimpliSafe’s second cloud plan will support storage for the Video Doorbell Pro and up to 10 additional cameras in our SimpliSafe security system for 30 days. While we tested out a cloud plan, we tried downloading our video footage via both the smartphone mobile app and SimpliSafe’s website on our desktop computer. Both downloads went smoothly, and we could still view or clips in HD. Although we thought this plan might be a great option for parents who want additional cameras to remotely check-in on older children when they’re home alone, Cloud Two is also a solely self-monitoring option. If we had jobs that didn’t allow us to periodically check our home security cameras, it’s unlikely we’d notice a home invasion or other safety issue in time to inform emergency services prior to a crime. We also missed not being able to remotely control our thermostat, turn off our lights, and lock our front door, as we experienced with the Interactive plan. Of course, there were still no notifications with the second cloud storage plan, much to our dismay.
Professional Monitoring and Storage
We found two professional monitoring plans that are available for the Video Doorbell Pro when it is paired with a SimpliSafe smart home security system.
- Standard: The $14.99 per month Standard plan provides around-the-clock professional monitoring for our Video Doorbell Pro and other security system components. If our system identified a problem, SimpliSafe would immediately attempt to verify the emergency with us. If we confirmed or SimpliSafe could not get a hold of us, they would call first responders on our behalf. We noticed this price is low in comparison to many other minimum home security plans such as Brinks, which starts at about $29 a month for professional monitoring and ADT, which starts at $40 per month (read more in our pages on Brinks plans and ADT plans). Nonetheless, we doubt that we’d feel comfortable choosing the Standard Plan plan, as it didn’t allow us to receive sensor notifications from our SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro, or control our system remotely. We’d also become used to the 30 days of video storage with our self monitoring plans, and we had a hard time returning to a system that did not allow us to see who’d been near our home while we were away. We did, however, like that we still had mobile access to our live video doorbell feed with this plan.
- Interactive: SimpliSafe calls its second option for professional monitoring the Interactive plan. At the very least, this plan requires the purchase of a SimpliSafe base station, motion sensor, contact sensor and keypad. For $24.99 per month, we got 24/7 professional monitoring, sensor notifications whenever a guest arrived at our door, 30 days of cloud storage, and the ability to remotely control our home’s security system, door lock, thermostat and lights. We loved not having to sign a long-term contract, as everything was month-to-month. We also appreciated having the option to check in on our home, but we really valued that SimpliSafe did all the work for us if an emergency came up.
Legal Leverage: While SimpliSafe does not require a monthly subscription, a $5 to $10 monthly cost for a cloud storage plan might be worth it in the event of a theft or burglary. The 1080p HD recorded footage can serve as evidence, which may aid in the recovery of stolen items and/or the prosecution of lawbreakers.
A Notable Contender
To evaluate the Video Doorbell Pro’s value, we compared SimpliSafe’s Videos Doorbell Pro with two of the industry’s other top video doorbell brands, Amazon’s Ring and Google’s Nest, specifically the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and the Nest Hello. The most striking financial difference between SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro and comparable competitors is its affordable equipment cost.
SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro offers competitive device pricing, marked at $169. That’s a full $60 to $80 less than the Google Nest Hello and Ring Video Doorbell Pro, costing $229 and $249, respectively.
SimpliSafe also outshines both Ring and Google Nest with its money-back guarantee. Both Ring and Google Nest only have 30-day return policies, Ring charges $5 for shipping, and Google Nest has been known to require a $35 restocking fee on all its wireless products. SimpliSafe, on the other hand, has a 60-day return policy and will send a prepaid label to cover the cost of shipping.
Month-to-month video cloud storage plans with SimpliSafe also provide low-cost options, starting at $4.99 per month for 30 days. However, SimpliSafe isn’t the cheapest on the market, as SimpliSafe’s minimum plan is slightly more expensive than Ring’s minimum $3 per month or $30 per year plan, which stores recordings for 60 days as opposed to 30. Conversely, SimpliSafe’s subscription is somewhat lower than Nest’s minimum plan of $6 per month or $60 for a year for 30 days of storage. So in terms of costs, SimpliSafe’s equipment is more affordable than the average, while their storage costs are straight down the middle of the road.
Is SimpliSafe the Video Doorbell For You?
All in all, we feel the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is one of top choices among today’s video doorbells. With an equipment cost of $169, the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro is known for its affordability. SimpliSafe doesn’t beat its competitors in terms of the lowest cost storage, so when we wanted professional monitoring, we had to also purchase a SimpliSafe security system. Nonetheless, options for storage and professional monitoring with the SimpliSafe security system and the Video Doorbell Pro are very affordable. Backed by a 60-day money-back promise and free return shipping, we found SimpliSafe’s return policy to be better than most major competitors. With no contracts required, families on a budget, students, and renters can consider a video doorbell from SimpliSafe without the stress of a huge initial investment or long-term commitment.