ecobee Smart Security Review and Pricing Guide 2022: An Intelligent Smart Security Solution
Ecobee is a household name in the smart thermostat industry, but our recent review of their Smart Security solution shows that it can be so much more.
What We Like
- Voice assistant integrations: The SmartThermostat that comes with the Smart Security Starter Kit has Alexa and Siri built in. Plus, you can control the entire system with your voice using Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri.
- Affordable monitoring: Professional monitoring for ecobee's Smart Security system starts at $10 per month, and that includes cloud storage for an unlimited number of cameras.
- Multi-functional sensors: Although ecobee offers only two types of sensors, both sensors have multiple capabilities. At the very least, a sensor can detect motion and trigger the smart thermostat when it detects occupancy.
What We Don't Like
- Limited equipment options: Although ecobee's sensors are a cut above the usual security sensors, we'd like to see ecobee offer vital security components such as glass break sensors and outdoor cameras.
- Manual sirens: Both the smart thermostat and the indoor camera have sirens, but you'll need to manually trigger them via the app. Without an automatic siren to deter intruders, you'll need to stay on top of every notification or get professional monitoring.
- Complex DIY installation: Since the Smart Security Starter Kit is built around the SmartThermostat, it's a bit harder to install than traditional security systems with a dedicated hub. Installation for the thermostat alone can take 45 minutes to an hour.
Ecobee leveraged their position in the smart home industry to create a smart home security system that operates seamlessly. The system is smart enough that it can provide added comfort and energy savings, with enough security features for basic home security. This is a system we can recommend for those looking for smart home security, with an emphasis on the "smart" aspect.
You may be familiar with ecobee as one of the companies that pioneered smart thermostats back in the early 2010s. Well, in recent years, ecobee added a few more tricks to their repertoire. Their most recent venture is into the smart home security space with the ecobee Smart Security system. Join us as we explore this system, particularly the $250 Smart Security Starter Kit, and take a look at the features, capabilities, and smart home integrations it offers.
Insurance Information Institute. (2022). Facts + Statistics: Fire. iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-fire
RapidSOS. (2022). RapidSOS Home Page. rapidsos.com/
AAA. (2022). AAA Texas: Make Sure Your Home is Ready for the Cold Weather; Average Pipe Burst Claim Jumps to More Than $10,000.