Ring Alarm Review: 2nd Generation
What We Like
- Low-cost professional monitoring: We might sound like a broken record here, but it’s true that Ring offers some of the lowest rates around for 24/7 professional monitoring at just $10 per month or $100 a year. We also liked that we had the option to self-monitor whereas some companies require pricier professional monitoring.
- Robust Ring ecosystem: We were able to mix and match other Ring devices such as our Ring Stick Up Cam Plug-In and Ring Video Doorbell 2 to fortify our Ring Alarm security system. This ended up saving us a lot of money.
- DIY installation: Like many security brands that we’ve reviewed, Ring provided an easy setup that didn’t require a toolbox. It was as quick and simple as peeling and sticking for many of the components. Check out some other options of the best DIY home security systems.
What We Don't Like
- Privacy concerns: With smart security systems can come hackers. Ring is no stranger to security breaches1 but has incorporated two-step authentication into the Ring Alarm app in an effort to reduce the number of hacked devices.
- Connectivity issues: During our initial setup of the Ring Alarm’s base station, we had trouble connecting it to our Wi-Fi. But after a few tries, the connection went through, and, thankfully, we didn’t encounter this issue again.
Bottom LineAmazon's take on home security is one of the most affordable options on the market. Easy to install, we could livestream footage, receive motion notifications and control our system remotely for no additional fees.
New York Times. (2019). Somebody’s Watching: Hackers Breach Ring Home Security Cameras. nytimes.com/2019/12/15/us/Hacked-ring-home-security-cameras.html
U.S. Department of Justice. (2010). National Crime Victimization Survey. bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt
BusinessWire. (2021). Ring and The Home Depot Announce Ring Jobsite Security, A New Way to Secure Job Sites.
Upper Michigan Source. (2021). Marquette County Sheriff’s Office investigating theft of tools, trailer.