Credit Sesame Review
Credit Sesame is a basic identity theft protection and credit monitoring service that offers something most other companies in this space don’t – a free tier.
Credit Sesame is known for its free credit monitoring and credit score tracking, but it also has some identity theft functionality built-in. This company has been around since 2010, and millions of people use its services to learn more about their financial health and to get the knowledge needed to work on their credit scores. The identity theft protection side of things focuses on a DIY-heavy approach to monitoring and restoration.
You have limited support on the free tier of this service, but if you need help with identity restoration, there are live support guides available. Since the emphasis on Credit Sesame is taking a DIY-approach, it’s not surprising that there are fewer options to reach someone at the company. There’s an extensive resource filled with the answers to many common questions, allowing you the ability to get self-service support.
Features, Services, and Plans
Credit Sesame has an app that’s available on the Kindle, Android, and iOS platform. This helpful and convenient mobile app gives you access to your financial health anywhere you’d like. You can quickly look up your loan accounts, debt levels, and credit accounts through this application. It shows your credit score on a month-to-month basis. You can also track your home value and get personalized information about areas that you can save more money in. This app is secured by a unique PIN, allowing you to stop someone from gaining access to it for identity theft purposes.
Transunion Credit Score
The credit score that you receive each month comes from Transunion. You also get credit monitoring alerts based on that report.
$50,000 Identity Theft Insurance
If someone does steal your identity, you have $50,000 in coverage to help you become whole again.
Credit Sesame does have a premium service available that expands its feature set with the following:
- Unlimited daily credit score updates: Get a real-time look at your credit score to stay on top of current changes.
- Three-bureau credit reports and scores: Access your information from Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.
- Monthly credit report download: Get updated credit report downloads each month.
- Social Security Number monitoring: Find out whether someone is using your social security number fraudulently.
- $1 million in identity theft insurance
- Lost and stolen wallet protection: Get help with canceling your cards and getting new ones if your wallet goes missing.
- Many types of identity theft monitoring, including public records, court records, payday loans, social security number, black market website, and change of address.
- Assistance with credit disputes: There’s a helpline available at all times of the day and night.
You get all of these features at the Platinum Protection level at $19.95 per month. If you’re only interested in the additional credit monitoring and score features, without the expanded identity theft monitoring services, you can get the Pro Credit plan at $15.95 per month. If you’d like a basic plan that only includes one-bureau daily score updates, then the Advanced Credit plan is only $9.95 per month.
Credit Sesame might not have all the bells and whistles that other identity protection services have, but having a free tier available makes it widely accessible. The paid tiers are segmented in such a way that you can pick and choose what types of features you want. If you’re more interested in tracking your credit report, then a lower tier may make more sense than the Premium option.
Credit Sesame does not require a credit card to sign up and you’re not locked into any contracts. The breakdown of the identity theft protection insurance per incident includes up to:
- $1k for replacing documents
- $1k for travel expenses related to identity theft resolution
- $3k for child or elderly care
- $5k for fraudulent withdrawals
- $50k in legal costs
- $200 per day in lost wages for up to one month
- New York state is not included in this coverage.
It’s hard to beat free. If you prefer a DIY approach to protecting your identity and keeping an eye on your credit, then the free offering that Credit Sesame has to offer is excellent. The paid tiers are somewhat lacking in features at the price point, compared to other identity protection plans.