PrivacyGuard Identity Theft Protection
Starting at under $10 a month, PrivacyGuard works hard to protect your personal information.
- Monthly charges range from $9.99 to $24.99
- Monitoring for credit scores and reports, financial accounts, dark web and more
- Identity theft insurance with maximum reimbursement of $1 million
Clients seeking comprehensive identity theft protection can purchase several different service packages through PrivacyGuard Identity Theft Protection. This company also provides adjacent financial services such as credit monitoring, reports, scores and more. PrivacyGuard is a service provided by a collaboration between Trilegiant Insurance Services, Inc. and Alliance Marketing Association. The company was founded in 1973 in Stamford, Connecticut, where it is still headquartered, and it has offices in six U.S. states.
IdentityTheft Protection with PrivacyGuard comprises four major services:
- Identity Theft Protection, which scans your credit reports from the three major credit bureaus (TransUnion, Experian and Equifax) each day. Clients receive immediate alerts about changes to their credit files, such as a credit inquiry or new account. You’ll also be able to review your credit reports and scores once a month so you can keep on top of your full financial picture.
- Identify Fraud Support Services, which help clients put the pieces back together after identity theft or breach. This service is designed to freeze client credit and prevent fraud perpetrators from opening new accounts in your name. You’ll receive assistance from a dedicated care specialist who is fully trained in the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Credit Card Protection, which locks your cards against misuse. You’ll receive an alert if credit card fraud is suspected and have the option to mark the transactions as legitimate or fraudulent.
- Identity Protection Education, including resources for consumers about how to best use and protect their data. This service can serve as the building blocks for a safe financial future.
PrivacyGuard is also one of the few services of its kind to offer unique Digital Protection. This dedicated mobile browser features a secure keyboard you can use when accessing your financial accounts, shopping online, paying bills or completing other sensitive financial transactions. This app enhances your privacy whenever you are browsing the web. Customers can also choose between phone, text or email fraud notifications, which makes it easy to customize the alerts to your preferences.
Customer service associates are available to help members understand their credit report and score. They also provide dispute forms to use when you notice inaccuracies in your credit file that must be corrected.
These are key features of PrivacyGuard ID Protection:
- Dedicated resolution support for identity fraud
- ID verification monitoring, including an alert for suspicious use of your identity within minutes
- Real-time monitoring for your Social Security number and up to 10 debit or credit card numbers on the black-market web
- Flagging and reporting of potentially fraudulent events associated with your Social Security number
- Scanning website directories for your email addresses, phone numbers and home address and providing instructions to remove this information
- An annual report detailing public records in your name, including real estate records; criminal, legal and court records; judgments; liens and bankruptcies
- Access to a convenient online tool to recover and protect your accounts from fraud using a simple step-by-step process
- Limiting the spam offers you receive for preapproved credit cards and insurance policies
- Assistance with notifying your bank and credit card providers if your wallet is lost or stolen
- Up to $1 million in insurance for identity theft protection, which can be used to cover stolen funds and other costs associated with recovering your identity
PrivacyGuard Credit Protection includes these key features:
- Monthly access to your credit reports and scores from all three bureaus
- Daily monitoring of your credit files and immediate alerts for suspicious changes
- Monthly tracking of your VantageScore credit score, which is similar to a FICO score
- Credit score simulator, an interactive tool that allows you to see how taking certain actions such as opening a new account would impact your credit score
- Financial calculator suite, a collection of planning tools that includes an auto loan, mortgage, home budget, debt consolidation and debt payoff simulator
- Dedicated resolution support for ID fraud
PrivacyGuard Total Protection provides the features in both packages at an overall discount.
New PrivacyGuard Identity Theft Protection customers pay $1 for the first 14 days of service. After that trial period, prices are as follows:
|PrivacyGuard ID Protection||PrivacyGuard Credit Protection||Privacy Guard Total Protection|
|$9.99 per month||$19.99 per month||$24.99 per month|
Once you select your plan, click the orange “Continue” button to begin the registration process. You must enter personal information such as your name, address and Social Security number, as well as select a login ID and password so you can access PrivacyGuard’s online features for your selected package.
To sign up for PrivacyGuard, you must enter credit or debit card information to access the 14-day trial for a cost of $1. After this initial charge, you will be billed the stated monthly charge for your package. Customers can cancel anytime by calling the service’s toll-free number or emailing customer service.
After signing up, members can begin using all the PrivacyGuard features of their plan right away. They will also receive an immediate online credit report and score.
PrivacyGuard clients can reach trained, experienced credit experts by phone for customer service, available through a toll-free number. The service does not publicly report the open and closed hours for its customer service department. Email assistance is also available.
PrivacyGuard offers simple, straightforward pricing with comprehensive plans that offer wide-ranging financial services and identity theft protection. This service pledges to protect its customer data and is affiliated with the PSI Security Standards Council, certified Norton Secured and certified by the International Security Management System. However, PrivacyGuard is not available for customers in Iowa, Rhode Island or Vermont.
This brand is accredited by Consumer Affairs, which is a testament to its reputation for consumer safety and reliability. Easy-to-use plans with understandable features and comprehensive protections have made PrivacyGuard the choice for more than 100 million clients. However, some consumers may prefer a more robust plan with expanded monitoring coverage that includes bank accounts, identity restoration, integrated antivirus software, a family plan option and/or the ability to monitor social media accounts for fraud. While similar services may provide free monitoring and credit scores, they lack the interactivity and hands-on, award-winning customer support of PrivacyGuard.