Google Nest Mini Review
This smart speaker from Google is a great way to get started in the Google ecosystem.
Looking to get started with your Google smart home ecosystem? Google’s latest smart speaker is a great jumping off point to what’s sure to be a plethora of convenient home automations. At only $49, it’s certainly an inexpensive smart speaker, and it has a ton of capabilities, from music to shopping to answering questions. In fact, I keep one in my bedroom and depend on it to wake me up every morning!
In this review, we’ll go over the device’s best and worst qualities, it’s design, features, installation process, and of course, Google’s customer support team. By the end of this review, you’ll have a great idea of whether or not the Google Nest Mini is the right smart speaker for you. Let’s get started!
Pros and Cons of the Google Nest Mini
In a hurry? No problem. Here are the key pros and cons of the Google Nest Mini.
What We Like
- Affordable: For under $50, you can begin building your smart home.
- Access to Youtube Music, Spotify, Pandora, Google Express, etc: Google has a lot of impressive partnerships, especially if you’re into music.
- Excellent sound quality: With three fair field microphones and 360 degree sound, the Google Nest Mini’s audio quality is top-notch.
What We Don’t Like
- No screen: Of course, you won’t be able to use the Google Nest Mini for watching movies and TV or video chatting.
- No Amazon Prime: Although Google provides shopping through Google Express, some people may prefer to do their online shopping on Amazon.
- Less functions than Amazon smart speakers: The Google Assistant has a fraction of the actions/ skills of Alexa, which reigns supreme when it comes to voice assistants.
Google Nest Mini Design
One thing I’m really excited about is the Google Nest Mini’s variety of color options. I’m always concerned about aesthetics, which is why I love that the smart speaker comes in chalk, charcoal, coral and even aqua. The last two can brighten up any space, so you won’t want to hide your speaker but show it off.
The Google Nest Mini must be plugged into an outlet via a 15 W power adapter, which shouldn’t be an issue when it comes to installation. The speaker itself is 3.85 inches in diameter and only 1.65 inches tall, so it won’t take up too much prime real estate on a shelf or table.
Now, we’re talking about a smart speaker, so high quality sound is essential. Fortunately, the Google Nest Mini provides 360 degree sound from three fair field microphones and a 40 mm driver, creating crisp and clear audio. Whether you’re using your Google Nest Mini to listen to your favorite true crime podcast or having it tell you the name step to poaching an egg, you can rest assured that you’ll be able to hear the audio clear as day.
Installing the Google Nest Mini
Setting up the Google Nest Mini is a very straightforward process thanks to the Google Home app. But before you get to that, plug in the speaker and give it about half a minute to boot up. Next, go into the app and add the device by clicking the plus sign in the left-hand corner. Then, you’ll choose a home for the device, sync it with the app, and do a sound test to make sure it’s all connected. After that’s done, you name the Google Nest Mini and connect it to Wi-Fi.
Next, you’re going to set up Google Assistant if you haven’t already, which I find to be a pretty fun process. With voice match technology, you’ll say “Okay Google” in a number of ways so that the speaker won’t respond to everyone who says Google. Next, I linked my music and video services and phone number. Now, playing Lizzo is as easy as saying “Hey Google, play Lizzo!”.
Google Nest Mini Features
To begin using the Google Assistant on your Google Nest Mini, simply say “Ok Google”. You’ll get access to over 4,000 actions which range from music to shopping to cooking and more. Let’s take a closer look.
Being the restless millennial that I am, I usually never listen to full songs, switching back and forth between my favorite artists whenever my heart desires. But of course, I try to limit the amount of time I spend staring at screens, which is why I appreciate the convenience of voice commands with the Google Nest Mini. Using my voice alone, I can request the speaker to play music from the following platforms:
- Google Play Music
- Youtube Music
However, if you use Apple Music, then the Google Nest Mini probably isn’t for you.
As far as shopping goes, you can use the Google Nest Mini to manage shopping lists, buy products on Google Express, find stores near you, and even get test products sent directly to your door! Personally, I prefer shopping on Amazon over Google Express, although some people might feel differently. Still, it’s super convenient to add to my shopping list without getting bogged down by too many devices and tabs.
As any amateur chef knows, it can be hard to flip the pages of a recipe book when your hands are covered in flour, or when you’re sautéing food on three different burners. Fortunately, with the Google Nest Mini, I can have recipe directions read out loud to me, step by step. I can also search for recipes by course, ingredient, or even dietary restrictions (which, let’s be honest, are becoming more and more common these days). Basically what I’m trying to say is that the Google Nest Mini is a godsend in the kitchen in particular.
The User Experience
Google Nest Customer Support
Like any IoT device, the Google Nest Mini won’t always work perfectly, which is why it’s important to have a strong customer support team behind you. I’ll say that when my Google Nest Mini was malfunctioning, I spent 40 minutes on the phone with a lovely representative who was very helpful and patient with me, ultimately fixing my connectivity issues.
Aside from a phone line, Google Nest also offers support over Facebook messenger, Twitter, and live chat. If you’re not feeling super in the mood to talk to someone, you can simply check out their online help center. No shame in needing some alone time, just you and your Google Nest Mini! All in all, I was very impressed by the customer support I received for my Google Nest Mini.
Recap of the Google Nest Mini
All in all, I think the Google Nest Mini is a fantastic option to either start your smart home ecosystem or add to it. But of course, no product is for everybody, so let me break it down for you even further.
The Google Nest Mini is the right smart speaker for you if you’d like…
- Pretty color options: If looks are important to you, this smart speaker takes the cake.
- Low price: You don’t need to shell out a lot to get in the Google smart home ecosystem, with this speaker priced at just $49.
- Google Play Music, Youtube Music, Spotify, Google Express, and more: If these apps are your go-to’s, then you’ll love listening to music and shopping on your Google Nest Mini.
But I wouldn’t go with the Google Nest Mini if you are looking for…
- Amazon Prime: If you’re a Prime member and want to shop with your voice, then the Google Nest Mini is definitely not a good choice (rhyme intended).
- Screen: With just a speaker microphone, you can’t use the Google Nest Mini to watch TV or movies, among other capabilities.
- Largest number of capabilities: While the Google Assistant has over 4,253 actions, this doesn’t hold a candle to Alexa, who’s skills are over 70,000.
If you want to explore a similar option with a screen, definitely check out the Google Nest Hub. Or, if Google doesn’t seem like the right smart home ecosystem for you, be sure to read my review of the Amazon Echo Show. Got more questions that I didn’t answer? Leave a comment below and I’m sure to get back to you soon.
Google Nest Mini FAQs
- What is a mini Google?
A mini Google can either refer to the Google Nest Mini or the Google Home Mini, the former being the latest iteration.
- How can I control Nest with Google Mini?
You’ll need to add your Nest device to your Google Home app. Then, you’ll be able to control is using your voice alone and set up triggers.
- What is a Google Nest Mini?
A Google Nest Mini is a smart speaker, made by Google, that works with Google Assistant.