Nest Doorbell Review: Wired and Battery
Learn about Nest’s latest wireless video doorbell
What We Like
- Superb video quality: The Nest Doorbell had a 1600 by 1200 resolution, an 160-degree viewing angle, HDR, and infrared night vision, which made for a clear picture day or night.
- Smart platform integrations: Not only did the Nest Doorbell integrate with Google Assistant and Alexa; it also worked well in conjunction with other Nest cameras and products.
- Artificial intelligence: The Nest Doorbell was able to distinguish people from moving objects, animals, and vehicles, resulting in necessary notifications only. And with Nest Aware, we could even put a name to familiar faces, which made our notifications even more specific.
What We Don't Like
- A bit pricey: At $229, the Nest Doorbell is not one of the most affordable doorbell cameras on the market; however, we think it’s worth it for someone looking for top-notch features. If you’re in the market for a cheaper doorbell, Nest’s new wire-free Doorbell is some $50 cheaper than the original. However, we haven’t yet reviewed its features yet, though, as the doorbell is only available for pre-order as of writing.
- Nest Aware is required to access all features: On top of the cost of the device itself, we found ourselves paying a monthly fee to enjoy many of the doorbell’s features including event history and facial recognition, although the camera does include person detection.
- No local storage: In order to see our footage after the fact, we had to pay for a Nest Aware subscription, as the doorbell didn’t have a slot for a micro-SD card.
Bottom LineGoogle Nest's take on the video doorbell is nothing short of top-notch. We were notified every time it detected a person, seeing and speaking to our visitor through the Nest app.
KXLH. (2019). How to defeat the porch pirates. kxlh.com/news/national/hot-to-defeat-the-porch-pirates
ABC7. (2017). Officers across US warn communities about ‘knock-knock burglars;' 2 arrested in Park Ridge. abc7chicago.com/knock-knock-burglaries-texas-houston/1804014/