VPN pricing isn’t always as straightforward as it may seem, and that was particularly true of PureVPN, a solid service with fast speeds and a logging policy that won’t keep your web activity. With a 31-day money-back guarantee, you can choose between a one week trial, a monthly or six-month subscription, but things aren’t that simple; we’ll expand below, as well as go over discounts, their referral program, and even a bug bounty program that can make you up to $1,500 per vulnerability.
PureVPN doesn’t have a free trial; however, they do have a trial period, one week for the full service for only $0.99. But be careful: if you don’t cancel PureVPN within the first week after purchasing it, you’ll automatically be enrolled in the annual plan, which costs $5.75 a month or $69 a year. There is one more fallsafe, the 31-day money-back guarantee. Even if your subscription hits the annual plan a week after you bought the trial, you can cancel within the first 31 days of purchase for a full refund by logging into your account and requesting a refund.
Whether you’re using PureVPN for personal or business reasons, they have subscription options to fit every budget.
When it comes to subscriptions, PureVPN can be a bit confusing. Why? Because their annual plan isn’t displayed super clearly on their website; you can’t even buy it directly. Rather, you’d have to sign up for a seven-day trial, under which it says in small letters that this means being enrolled in the annual plan. Otherwise, your options are for one month or two years.
We’re sure many customers were confused by this, as it took us about 15 minutes to figure out. Despite this, PureVPN’s pricing is fair, especially with the yearly plan.
|1 Week||1 Month||6 Months||1 Year|
|Total Amount Billed||$0.99||$10.95||$69.00||$79.92|
Tip: For the most savings, sign up for the two year plan, which works out to just $3.33 per month.
Each subscription covers up to 10 devices total, although there are only five simultaneous connections allowed.
Some people may want to get the same IP address every time, port forwarding or DDoS protection. If that’s the case, you can add on these services for less than a dollar each. But note that they’ll only work on Windows, Android, and iOS devices or routers, and some of the add-ons only work on a portion of PureVPN’s servers.
|Service||Monthly Price of Add-On||Compatible Servers|
|Dedicated IP||$3.99||Australia, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Malta, Singapore, U.K, U.S|
|DDos Protection||$4.99||Germany, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, New Zealand, U.K, U.S|
What do these services entail exactly?
- Dedicated IP: A dedicated IP address means that your IP address won’t be used by anyone else but you; typically, PureVPN has users share IP addresses, which makes them less easy to trace. We prefer shared IP addresses, actually, and ideally, the IP addresses are also dynamic, meaning we get a new one every time we connect. However, if you prefer a dedicated, static IP address, PureVPN is a great option.
- Port Forwarding: Imagine data heading straight to your router, firewall or proxy server. With port forwarding, this data will be redirected to a different port or IP address, an extra layer of digital security.
- DDoS Protection: DDoS, or Distributed Denial of Service attacks is when hackers try to send a bunch of traffic to a web page to disrupt its service. Your computer or phone may be used to perform DDoS attacks if it’s hacked.
Remote working has its advantages, one of them being a 30-second commute to your home office. However, with almost 40 percent of Americans working remotely from a personal computer, digital security risks abound, especially for those that handle personal business or customer information, according to our study on remote work digital security. And shockingly, only 24 percent of Americans use a VPN, which means that over 75 percent of Americans working remotely aren’t protecting their web traffic or IP address. If you want to protect your business, PureVPN has options.
|Monthly Price of Monthly Plan||Monthly Price of Annual Plan||Total Amount Billed for Annual Plan||Coverage of 1 Subscription|
|VPN for Teams||$8.45||$5||$60||1 User|
|Dedicated IP VPN for Teams||$9.99||$6.99||$83.88||1 User|
|Dedicated VPN Server for Teams||Starts at $399||Starts at $399||Starts at $399||Whole Team|
As you can see, the monthly cost per user is either $5 or $8.45, depending on if you pay annually or monthly. If you want more security and a server for your team only, that’s a flat rate starting at $3.99. These prices are as reasonable as the personal prices, and slightly less confusing.
Of course, pricing is all relative; even a monthly price under a dollar wouldn’t be worth it for an unsafe VPN. But we think PureVPN is worth its pricing, and here’s why:
- No surveillance: With a headquarters in Hong Kong, PureVPN won’t hand the government over any of our data (or at least, they can’t be forced, legally).
- No data logging: PureVPN only kept our basic information like our name, email and payment information, along with our total bandwidth consumed while connected. However, they didn’t log our IP address, browsing activity, DNS requests or timestamps.
- Kill switch: When we accidentally spilled orange juice on our keyboard, somehow killing our VPN, our web browsers closed, too, protecting our web activity. Think of a kill switch like burning a house down in order to hide evidence of a crime (which by the way, we don’t recommend, although it’s a useful metaphor).
- Split tunneling: Business-related users will appreciate the fact that they’ll be able to access their private office network from the public network at the coffee shop they spend eight hours a day at.
- Netflix access: After the day is done, you can keep PureVPN on to watch Netflix.
FYI: Sick of everything on your country’s Netflix server? With a VPN, you can use Netflix as if you were other countries to access more content. To see what programs are available on what servers, use this guide from Finder.
- AES-256: Our web traffic and IP addresses were encrypted whenever we connected to PureVPN using AES-256, which is what the military and banks use, so you know it’s secure.
- Fair prices: Especially if you sign up for two years, PureVPN can cost as little as $3.33 a month, or less if you take advantage of the student discount.
- Money-back guarantee: Not in love with PureVPN? Cancel within 31 days of purchase to receive a full refund, no matter what subscription you signed up for.
How To Cancel
To cancel your subscription from PureVPN, go to https://my.purevpn.com/refundrequest and fill out the form. Again, if this is within 31 days of your original purchase, you’ll get a full refund; otherwise, you’ll just stop your subscription from renewing automatically. That being said, you probably won’t want to cancel PureVPN. Why? Read our PureVPN review to learn more.
How To Upgrade
If you want to upgrade to a longer term length to lock in savings, or downgrade if you won’t need your VPN for as long as you originally thought, changing your subscription is as easy as asking PureVPN’s support staff over live chat. Alternatively, you can email them at email@example.com; the same process goes for if you accidentally cancelled your subscription and want to undo the cancellation.
Strangely, we could only pay with PayPal or credit cards with the personal plans, but the business plans opened up a slew of payment options.
We wish PureVPN would open up all their payment methods to all subscriptions, but this isn’t a dealbreaker by any means.
Deals and Discounts
There are a couple of ways to save on PureVPN, one of them is signing up for the week trial and then the discounted annual plan. But depending on the season, there are more deals available.
Students can get 15 percent off of subscriptions from PureVPN from Student Beans. We’re not students so we can’t see the coupon code, but if you log into Student Beans, you can copy and paste it before you purchase PureVPN for some great savings.
|1 Week||1 Month||6 Months||1 Year|
|Total Amount Billed||$0.84||$9.31||$58.38||$67.92|
Again, to get PureVPN at its cheapest possible price, sign up for the two year plans, which for $67.92 works out to just $2.83 per month.
To pocket a fifth of the cost of a six-month subscription of PureVPN, use the code Discount20 at checkout. To save 10 perfect, the coupon code is Discount10, if you can believe it, but it only works with the monthly plan as opposed to the six-month plan.
Holiday and Special Discounts
Throughout the year, PureVPN offers a slew of different discounts, so if you’re looking to save, just wait until the next holiday. Here are the deals we’ve seen throughout the years:
- Special deal
- Lifetime offer
- Halloween deal
- Crazy Frenzy deal
- Black Friday deal
- Cyber Monday deal
- Christmas deal
- New Year’s deal
A VPN may not be what you expect on Christmas or Hanukkah, but what a better present is there than digital privacy? If you buy a plan from PureVPN, you’ll get 12 free monthly accounts to send to friends. That’s a great deal, but we were a bit surprised that the user doesn’t get anything in return from sharing PureVPN, so if you’re feeling selfless, take advantage of this referral program.
Bug Bounty Program
There is one way to actually make money from PureVPN, however, but only if you’re well-versed in information technology and quality assurance. In a partnership with BugCrowd,2 a network of over 90,000 white hat or ethical hackers, if you find a bug or vulnerability within PureVPN and report it to the program, you can get anywhere from $50 to $1,500. Yes, you read that right!
But wait! Does PureVPN work with the device you want to protect? Check out compatible devices as well as browser extensions below.
- Android TV
- Boxee box
- Firestick TV
- Fire TV Stick
- Microsoft Surface
- Now TV Box
- Raspberry Pi
Frequently Asked Questions
Is PureVPN any good?
PureVPN is a good VPN with quick speeds, no data logging, Netflix access, and split tunneling.
Is PureVPN legal?
PureVPN is legal in countries where VPNs are legal, like the United States. However, it’s not legal where VPNs are prohibited, like in China, so make sure to look up the federal legislation regarding VPNs in the country you’re in before connecting.
How much does PureVPN cost?
PureVPN costs either $0.99 for a week, $10.95 for a month, $69 for a year, which translates to $5.75 a month, or $79.92 for two years, which works out to $3.33 a month. However, the only way to buy the annual plan is to first sign up for the week-long trial; after seven days, you will be automatically enrolled in the annual plan unless you request cancellation. For students that register with Student Beans, these prices are 15 percent off.
Does PureVPN work with Netflix?
PureVPN works with Netflix along with other streaming services like Disney Plus and Hulu.