Smart Home Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals
Smart home and savings go together like PB & J, and on this page, we’re rounding up the best deals on smart home technology this Black Friday, 2020. While most brands don’t announce their Black Friday sales until shortly before the date itself, we’ve been at this a long time, so we’re talking past deals and extrapolating them for the future.
Cameras, Security Systems and Video Doorbells
Obviously, at Security.org, we’re focusing on the best smart security products for your home, and particularly, how you can save on them this upcoming Black Friday. Here’s what we found from our top brands:
- Ring: Last year, Ring gave us up to $30 off of their products on Amazon, and for those that prefer Walmart, up to $70 off on their Ring Video Doorbell Pro and the Ring Video Doorbell 2, plus up to half off on Ring Alarm systems. Since Amazon owns Ring, we’re predicting huge discounts on their products this year.
- Nest: Although Google, a competitor to Amazon in terms of their smart home devices, owns Nest, Nest products are still available on Amazon as well as other major retailers. Last year, we got up to $300 off of Nest products from Amazon or up to 35 percent off Nest cameras and motion detectors.1 To learn more about these products, read our Nest cameras review or our Nest Secure review.
FYI: If you want to save money on Nest’s cameras, go with the Nest Cam Indoor or the Nest Cam Outdoor versus the IQ cameras, which are much more expensive. Read about Nest’s pricing.
SimpliSafe: SimpliSafe often offers 25 percent off new systems plus a free camera, and we expect the same deal this Black Friday.
- Abode: Last year, we got up to $309 off abode’s systems with subscriptions of professional monitoring and cellular backup; this year should amount to some great savings, as well.
- ADT: This Black Friday, we’re expecting a 10 percent discount from ADT, and possibly more; after all, last year they offered us free security cameras and $100 off of professional installation, which was pretty generous of them.
- Alder: Alder Security gave us an $100 prepaid Visa card, a free indoor camera plus no money due upfront last year, but 2018’s Black Friday deals were even better, if you can believe it. They would match any Black Friday deal, and throw in a security camera on the house! We’re not expecting this price-match guarantee this year, but still, Alder drives a nice bargain.
- Frontpoint: In Black Friday 2019, Frontpoint gave us 15 percent off our entire cart,2 and the year before, they gave us a free keypad and hub plus $200 off systems. Basically, if you want to buy Frontpoint security for cheap, Black Friday is the time to do it.
Tip: Follow Frontpoint on Facebook to get the promo codes for Black Friday 2020.
- Zmodo: The Zmodo Greet Pro video doorbell is typically $99.99, but last Black Friday, we got it for just $69.99.
- SkyBell: We could save up to 35 percent off the SkyBell Slim Line Doorbell Camera from Amazon last year, or up to 82 percent at Walmart, with maximum savings of $137 total.
- August: While the August Doorbell Cam Pro normally costs $186, on Black Friday last year, it was sold for $139.99. Pair it with one of August’s smart locks so you can monitor everything in the August Home app; we detailed Black Friday deals for August smart locks below.
- Vivint: One of the more expensive brands in home security, it’s been a while since Vivint has offered us Black Friday savings. Nine years ago, however, to take things way back, they gave us free installation as well as $0 on activation for any new security system or home automation system. All in all, we could save up to $500.
- Kangaroo: This year, Kangaroo is giving its customers 33 percent off their Front Door Security Kit, bringing its price down to $66. Just remember to enter the code RING33, and learn more in our Kangaroo doorbell camera review.
Smart Speakers and Displays
We command our smart security cameras, systems and video doorbells with Alexa and Google Assistant, but both of these voice assistants require smart speakers or smart displays to enable voice commands.
- Nest: We reviewed the Nest Mini smart speaker, which is very affordable at just $49, but last year, Amazon gave us discounts of up to 35 percent, as they did on their cameras, thermostats, smoke detectors, and other smart security devices. Hopefully, this discount will cover the Nest Hubs, as well!
- Echo: Last year, Amazon featured a ton of discounts on Echo speakers and displays,3 so much so that it necessitated a chart to keep track of everything.
|Product Name||Original Price||Black Friday 2019 Price||Savings|
|Echo Dot with Clock||$59.99||$24.99||58%|
|Echo Dot Third Generation||$49.99||$22||56%|
|Echo Show 5||$89.99||$49.99||44%|
|Echo Dot Kids Edition||$59.99||$34.99||42%|
|Echo Show 8||$129.99||$79.99||38%|
|Echo Show Second Generation||$229.99||$149.99||35%|
We could save nearly 60 percent off the Echo Dot with Clock, which you can learn more about in our Echo Dot with Clock review. As far as smart displays went, the highest discount lied with the Echo Show 5 at 44 percent, and we expect to see even bigger discounts this year.
Finally, expect to save big on smart locks, which are notoriously expensive.
- Schlage: We’ve seen discounts on Schlage smart locks sold at the Home Depot in the past, but unfortunately, those web pages are no longer active.
- Yale: Last Black Friday, Amazon discounted the Next x Yale lock by more than $50, bringing the price from $270 all the way down to $219. Sure, it’s still pretty expensive, but this is a considerable amount of savings.
- Kwikset: Kwikset greatly discounted the second generation Bluetooth Kevo, bringing its cost from $229 to around $170, savings of nearly $60 or 26 percent on Amazon.
- August: Last year, we saved $130 on the August Smart Lock Pro + Connect and $70 on the original August Smart Lock, bringing the prices down to $149 and $79, respectively.4
Starting a smart home may seem like a big undertaking, but you can seriously diminish the costs if you buy your devices on Black Friday. For more information on how to set up your smart home, read our home automation guide.
PR Newswire. (2019). Top Nest Black Friday Deals 2019: Early Nest Security Cameras, Thermostats & Hello Doorbell Savings Rated by Spending Lab.
Facebook. (2019). Frontpoint.
CNN. (2019). Nearly every Amazon Echo is discounted for Cyber Monday.
August. (2019). Celebrate Black Friday Early (and Late!) with This Year’s Best Deal.