There are literally hundreds of VPNs on the Internet, and many of them seem pretty similar, all performing the same basic function of encrypting your web activity and IP addresses. So in terms of which VPN is right for you, we’d be lying if we said that cost wasn’t a huge factor. Here, we’re discussing the costs associated with Ivacy VPN, the first VPN company to introduce split tunneling. From a relatively hidden five year subscription to some amazing holiday discounts, we found a ton of ways to save on Ivacy VPN’s already low pricing.
Ivacy VPN’s pricing is more than fair, with the five-year plan ringing in at just $1.16 monthly. Let’s go more into detail.
Most people will stick to an individual subscription from Ivacy, as it covers up to 10 devices, more than enough for the average Internet user. We could choose from a week, a month, a year, two years or five years, which they call the “lifetime subscription”. We hope our lives last a bit longer, but we definitely appreciate Ivacy’s low prices, especially as the term lengths increase.
|7 Days||1 Month||1 Year (must do 7 day trial first)||2 Years||5 Years|
|Total Amount Billed||$0.99||$9.95||$47.99||$54||$69.99|
Want a VPN for your entire family or friend group? Ivacy sells subscriptions in bulk, but group prices aren’t listed on their website. As a result, if you want to talk pricing for multiple accounts, you’ll have to email email@example.com.
Over 1,000 businesses trust Ivacy VPN to protect their sensitive customer and business data. Again, these prices aren’t listed on their website, but you can submit a request online to talk prices.
Aside from the bare minimum, there are a couple of things that Ivacy offers as add-ons.
|Service||Additional Monthly Cost|
|Dedicated IP (Hong Kong, Canada, Australia, Germany, Singapore, U.S, U.K||$1.99|
What do these terms actually mean, you ask?
- Dedicated IP address: If you want an IP address that you and only you can use, you can pay an extra $1.99 a month for a dedicated address from servers in Hong Kong, Canada, Australia, Germany, Singapore, the U.S and the U.K. However, we don’t recommend this, as your unshared, static IP address will make you easier to trace online if that’s a concern.
- Port forwarding: Port forwarding means that the user can create rules for how each device connects to your local network based on their IP addresses. Data packets will be accepted by certain devices and blocked on others, increasing digital security.1
We’ll get straight to the point: Ivacy doesn’t have a free trial period, but instead, a week-long trial period for $0.99, which isn’t bad. However, if you don’t cancel within that time, you’ll be enrolled automatically in the one-year subscription, which costs $3.99 a month or a one-time payment of $47.99. So if you’re just looking to use Ivacy for a week, be sure to mark a week from the purchase date in your calendar. While this isn’t free, less than a dollar for a week of service is pretty darn close. But if you want a totally free option (albeit, with some limitations on data and device usage, depending on the VPN), check out our list of the best free VPNs.
How to Pay
Ivacy offers a few different ways to pay for their service, although we went the old-fashioned route with a regular old credit card:
- Credit card
- Mercado Pago
Note: To pay for the week trial subscription, you have to use PayPal or a card; the other methods will not work.
Devices and Apps
Ivacy works on most of the major devices and browsers if you prefer using a browser extension to a desktop or mobile app. It also works on Xbox, much like the best VPNs for gamers. To learn more about our experience streaming with Ivacy, read our Ivacy VPN review.
- Chrome (browser extension)
- Edge (browser extension)
- Firefox (browser extension)
To Stream Or Not To Stream?
There are a number of reasons why someone would want to encrypt their streaming traffic. Maybe you want to hide the fact that you watched four seasons of Laguna Beach over one weekend from your Internet Service Provider, or maybe you want to watch Netflix in another country, as the programming will be completely different. Whatever the reason, Ivacy works with most of the major streaming platforms like:
- Disney Plus
- Prime Video
Cancellation: Can I Get A Refund?
Ivacy isn’t like a stereotypical woman in a romantic comedy, anxious for commitment. Rather, you can cancel their service and get a full refund so long as you’re within 30 days of your purchase date. However, this doesn’t apply to monthly subscriptions, or subscriptions paid for with Bitcoin, any form of cryptocurrency or Payment Wall.
Given you meet the criteria, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your username and why you want to cancel; best-case scenario, you can get your money back.
What We Liked
Ivacy doesn’t just have low prices; there’s also a lot to appreciate about the VPN itself, from its non-membership to surveillance alliances to its great apps for iOS and Android.
- Based in Singapore: A non-member country to Five Eyes, Nine Eyes and 14 Eyes, Ivacy can’t be forced legally to give the government customer data.
- Worldwide servers: Ivacy has servers in more than 100 locations, making private and fast Internet available when you’re on the road.
- Logs minimal data: Ivacy kept only our name and the email address that we used to register with, logging none of our private IP addresses or domain names.
- Torrenting: When streaming services weren’t cutting it, we turned on Ivacy and torrented movies and TV shows.
- Split tunneling: Routing some of our traffic on the public server and some through the VPN decreased our total bandwidth and increased our web speeds.
Student and Youth Discounts
It’s not the eighties anymore, and nothing makes that more evident than the price of college tuition. From the school years of 1989 to 1990 through 2019 to 2020, the average tuition and fees grew threefold at public universities and over twofold at private colleges, even after taking inflation into account.2 That’s why college students may not want to shell out a ton of money each month for their VPN, although they probably work on public networks all the time at their college libraries, coffee shops, etc.
Fortunately, Ivacy provides students with discounts via Student Beans, 20 percent off on the one year and five-year plan. And even if you’re not in school, if you’re an apprentice or someone between the ages of 16 and 26, you can also qualify for a 20 percent discount on the one or five-year plans by using the coupon code NOW at checkout. Here are those prices, discounted:
|1 Year||5 Years|
|Total Amount Billed||$38.39||$59.99|
For the most savings, sign up for the five-year plan and take advantage of the extra 20 percent off even after you graduate from your four-year university. You’ll only pay a dollar a month, one of the lowest prices we’ve seen from the industry.
Note: To get the student discount, you’ll have to first register with Student Beans to access the coupon code.
Promotions and Discounts
They say to never accept a first offer, and this definitely applies to VPNs. While as of writing, Ivacy isn’t offering any seasonal or holiday discounts, they have in the past, so you can expect more deals in the future such as:
- Fourth of July sale: This summer we saw the yearly plan drop down to $3.50 a month from $3.99, which would have saved us $5.88 over the course of the year. And with the code USAVPN, users could’ve gotten a 90 percent discount on the five year plan, an 81 percent discount on the two-year plan or a 70 percent discount on the yearly plan.
- Halloween deal: In 2018, Ivacy gave users discounts that were anything but spooky; on the contrary, they were very generous at up to 87 percent off!
- Christmas discount: In Christmas of 2019, Ivacy offered the five year plan for only $0.99 a month, the same as the student discount but for anyone, not just students.
- Cyber Monday: In 2019, Ivacy gave us those five year plans for $0.99 a month and one-year plans for $3.33 a month.
- Black Friday: We saw the same Cyber Monday discounts on Black Friday.
- Thanksgiving: Last Turkey Day, Ivacy offered us the five year plan for $1.33 per month, or $80.
- Boxing Day: The deals continued the day after Christmas with 77 percent off one and two-year plans plus a free one year plan, 66 percent off one-year plans and half off on three-month plans at $4.99 a month.
- Green Monday: 83 percent off a two-year plan? Don’t mind if we do.
- Easter: In between hunting for Easter eggs, we could’ve gotten 20 percent off on any Ivacy plan or even free five year subscriptions.
- Memorial Day: We’ve seen Ivacy sell one-year accounts for just $1.83 a month, although it was about four years ago at this point.
As you can see, Ivacy is pretty generous with the holiday discounts, so if you’re looking to pay the least for your VPN, just wait until the next major holiday.
Although Ivacy VPN’s prices were low to begin with, their student, youth and holiday discounts make it even more reasonable. We recommend Ivacy not only for their great security features but also for their pricing, which is some of the lowest around, especially with the long-term subscriptions.
NordVPN Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Ivacy VPN safe?
Is Ivacy VPN safe?
Ivacy VPN is safe for a few different reasons. The company is based in Singapore, which isn’t part of Five Eyes, Nine Eyes and 14 Eyes, so they will never have to give user data to the government, although they only logged our emails and names. Our web traffic and IP addresses weren’t kept, but encrypted through AES-256 encryption, the industry standard.
- Is Ivacy VPN free?
Ivacy VPN isn’t free and doesn’t have a free trial. Rather, the lowest price you can pay if through the five year plan, which costs $1.16 a month or $69.99, without discounts.
- How much does Ivacy VPN cost?
Ivacy VPN either costs $0.99 for a week, $9.95 for a month, $47.99 for a year, which comes out to $3.99 a month, $54 for two years, which equates to $2.25 a month, or $69.99 for five years, which equals $1.16 a month. Look out for seasonal discounts as well, which can get you up to 87 percent off; students and youths are also eligible for 20 percent off on five and one-year plans.
- Does Ivacy work with Netflix?
Ivacy does work with Netflix along with torrenting.
NetGear. (2020). What is port forwarding?
CollegeBoard. (2020). Trends in College Pricing Highlights.