VPN How Tos: From Beginner to Advanced
If you’ve ever wondered how to use a VPN, we have the answers you need
With any subject, you have to start somewhere, and that’s especially true for virtual private networks (VPNs), an increasingly popular way to hide your online activity. VPNs aren’t as complicated as they seem, but we dove deep on how to use them for everything from watching Netflix in another country to bypassing your school’s firewall. If it’s related to VPNs and how to use them, we’ve got you covered with detailed articles below.
VPN How Tos
From what a VPN is to how to find your IP address, our experts have written detailed articles with step-by-step instructions on VPNs.
General VPN How Tos
From what a VPN is to how much one costs, these pages are great for those just starting to familiarize themselves with VPNs. Hey, you have to start somewhere, especially if you’re using a public Wi-Fi network on various mobile devices.
- How to Check If a VPN Is Working
- How to Disable a VPN
- Do VPNs Stop DDoS Attacks?
- How much Is a VPN?
- How to Cancel VPN Subscriptions
- Is Using a VPN Legal?
- VPN Data Consumption & Cellular Usage
- What Does a VPN App Do?
- How to Unblock Websites
Note: While VPNs are legal in the United States, countries like Belarus, China, Iraq, North Korea, Oman, Russia, and the U.A.E. have banned them.1 However, many VPNs have server locations in these countries, so proceed at your own risk and make sure your secure VPN client has a kill switch.
How to Change Locations
Using a VPN can let you change locations without moving your seat, fooling your device and websites into showing you other countries’ content. It’s especially useful on location-based dating apps like Bumble.
- How To Change Your Location on Bumble
- How to Change Location on Facebook Dating
- How to Change Location on Facebook Marketplace
- How to Change Location on Hinge
- How to Change Location on Hulu
- How to Change Location on an iPhone
- How to Change Location on a Mac
- How to Change Location on a PC
- How to Change Location on Pokémon Go
- How To Change Location On Snapchat
- How to Change Your Location on Tinder
- How to Change Location on Youtube TV
One of the main functions of a VPN is to hide and change your IP address, but not everyone is familiar with the nitty-gritty of IP addresses.
- How to Get a U.K, IP Address
- How to Get a U.S. IP Address
- How to Hide IP Addresses
- How to Change Your IP Address
How to Set Up VPNs
We provided clear instructions on how to set up a VPN on a multitude of devices, from Androids to Xboxes.
- How to Get a VPN on Xbox
- How to Install a VPN on the Fire TV Stick
- How to Install a VPN on Kodi
- How to Set Up a VPN
- How to Set Up a VPN on Android
- How to Set Up a VPN on Macs
- How to Set Up VPN on a Router
- How to Use a VPN on iPhones
Watching TV and Movies with VPNs
If you’ve got a streaming VPN or a torrenting VPN, here’s how to put it into action.
Pro Tip: Netflix has banned the IP addresses of many VPN servers,2 so make sure you’re using one of the best VPNs for Netflix.
Reading about VPNs, you may come across unfamiliar terms. Well, we’ve defined them as simply as possible.
VPNs and Privacy
Forty percent of people use a VPN for general privacy, according to our VPN usage report. Learn more about how VPNs increase your online anonymity.
Of course, VPNs aren’t the only game in town for hiding your web traffic. We explain proxy servers and incognito mode, and how they compare to VPNs.
Those are all of the VPN how-tos we’ve created, but we’ll continue to make them as our readers’ questions arise. If you want to learn more about VPNs in general, our VPN guide is a great place to start. And of course, if you’re ready to buy one, check out the best VPN list to see our picks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not surprisingly, given how many VPNs we’ve tested, we’re constantly inundated with questions about how to use VPNs. Here are our most frequently asked questions, with answers to boot.
What is a VPN and how do you use it?
A VPN is a virtual private network that encrypts a user’s IP address and web activity. To use a VPN:
- Download a VPN app or browser extension.
- Create an account, either on the VPN itself or the VPN’s website.
- Sign in.
- Connect to a server.
How do I set up a VPN?
To set up a VPN:
- Sign up for a VPN account.
- Download the app or browser extension either through the company’s website or through your operating system’s app store.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click Sign In.
How can I use a VPN for free?
To use a VPN for free, you’ll need to either look for a completely free VPN or a VPN with a free trial. Some free VPNs and VPNs with free trials include:
- Hotspot Shield
To use any of the above VPNs:
- Choose a VPN service.
- Go to the app store.
- Search for the particular VPN.
- Download the VPN app.
- Sign in or create an account.
- Connect to a server to create a VPN connection. Now, your internet service provider can’t see your personal data or IP address.
How do I connect my PC to a VPN?
To connect your PC to a VPN:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Search for a VPN.
- Download the VPN app.
- Sign in with a username or password, if you’ve already created an account. If not, create an account and sign in.
- Choose a server you want to connect to and click Connect.
Norton. (2021). Privacy.
Netflix. (2021). Netflix says ‘You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.'