Blink, an Amazon company, is focusing on the affordable end of the home security camera market. Everything is designed to simply work without a hassle. There are no wires, no required contracts, and even the batteries last for two years.
What We Like
- Two-way audio: With the Blink Outdoor, we could communicate in real-time with delivery personnel or repair workers directly through the camera’s speakers and microphone.
- Two-year battery life: That’s right, the Blink Outdoor should last for up to an entire two years from two little AA batteries.
- Solid video performance: We appreciated the Blink Outdoor’s clear, 1080p HD video.
What We Don't Like
- Continue button: The Blink Outdoor camera can only live stream for five minutes at a time before starting a new stream, not to mention that we had to tap a “continue” button every 30 seconds even within that short, five minute timeframe.
- Disappointing night vision: The Blink Outdoor only had a single infrared sensor, so rather than seeing the familiar faces of our visiting friends and family, we only saw white glowing blobs.
- Narrow field of view: Blink Outdoor’s 110 degree field of view isn’t great; normally we like our cameras to have fields of view of at least 120 degrees.
Bottom LineThe Blink security camera line, flagshipped by the Blink Outdoor, consists of affordable but reliable home security cameras. Most of the Blink cameras use batteries for power, while the Blink Mini, currently the only plug-in camera from Blink offers 24/7 indoor security packed within a tiny body.
GlobeNewswire. (2019). Tenable Research Finds New Vulnerabilities in Popular Blink Smart Security Cameras.
Blink. (2020). Blink Storage Options.