Blink's lineup of security cameras includes the XT, XT2, Indoor, and Mini.
- No long-term contracts
- Impressive two-year battery life
- Affordable home security
Blink Camera System is a home security system that is very different from nearly all of its competitors on the market. Unlike other security systems, Blink is completely self-monitored. That means there isn’t a professional monitoring staff checking in on your house. It also means that you don’t have to pay the monthly fees for monitoring.
This system is unusually affordable compared to its competitors due to the lack of subscription or data fees. It is easy to install and starts at a reasonable upfront price.
There is a lot to like about Blink Camera System for some users. However, it may not be for everyone. Below is more detailed information on the features and costs.
The Blink Camera System is genuinely just a system of home cameras. It doesn’t offer entry sensors, alarm buttons or any other non-camera features that traditional home security systems offer. However, it has some features that make it attractive to anyone who wants something basic but effective.
Blink offers two cameras: the Blink Indoor Camera and the Blink XT2 Indoor/Outdoor Camera. The former is the original offering by the company and the latter is an updated version.
- High-Resolution Camera: Both cameras stream HD video to the user’s mobile phone. The XT2 offers 1080p video with a 110-degree viewing angle. This makes it easy to monitor your home with a clear and comprehensive picture.
- Networked Video: The cameras work wirelessly and can all be monitored from your mobile app. They have a sync module that helps manage aspects such as the wireless connectivity. This makes the whole system very easy to use.
- Outdoor Equipment: The Blink XT2 camera can work both indoors and outdoors. This is an unusual feature for home security systems. Most competitors do not have outdoor equipment.
- Motion Sensing: The cameras have motion sensors that will notify you if they detect anything. They will also record video when triggered. That way, if you miss a notification, you can check what happened later. Additionally, if you ever need the video evidence, it will be stored for you.
- Night Vision: The original Blink Indoor Camera features low-light illumination to help you see in the dark. The XT2 features an upgraded infrared night vision system. With both cameras, you can continue monitoring even in low light settings.
- Self-Monitoring: Some users don’t want to have their homes connected to external monitoring centers. Other people simply want to be able to check in on things themselves. Self-monitoring can be a great option.
- Easy Installation: The system is very easy to install because it is wireless and uses your mobile phone. All you need to do is mount your camera(s) and connect them to the sync module and your Wi-Fi network. After that, you can use your mobile phone app to view the feeds and manage your camera(s).
- Two-Way Audio: The XT2 camera features two-way audio. You can listen to what is happening and even speak through the camera using your mobile phone. This can be helpful for talking to people who are authorized to be in your home or for listening in when an alert goes off.
- Long Battery Life: Both Blink Camera System cameras can get up to two years of battery life on two AA batteries. That is an impressive number unmatched by many home security systems or cameras.
- Cloud Storage: When you record video, store it in the cloud for free. That way, you can have easy access to your recorded videos from anywhere. This can potentially be important if you catch an unwanted intruder on camera.
- Smart Home Integrations: The Blink Camera System can be integrated with smart home devices such as Amazon Echo, Nest and Philips Hue Lighting. It can also work with IFTTT integrations for extra automation.
- Lawn Signs: Like other security systems, the Blink Camera System offers lawn signs. These can help ward off would-be intruders.
In some ways, the Blink Camera System is very simplistic in terms of features. It only offers cameras with motion detectors. However, those cameras, especially the XT2, are relatively advanced. So, for a user who primarily wants a camera system, this is a good option.
The pricing on the Blink Camera System is very simple: The only price you pay is the cost of the camera and sync module. There are no subscriptions and no data fees.
Better yet, since Blink is an Amazon company, you can order your parts through Amazon and get free shipping. All Blink equipment is Prime eligible.
Each camera offers different features, with the XT2 being a straight upgrade of the original. Below is a comparison of the costs and features.
|Feature||Blink Camera System With Sync Module||Blink XT2 Camera System With Sync Module|
|Video Feed||HD||1080p HD|
|Customizable Motion Zones||No||Yes|
|Live Video Recording||No||Yes|
|Night Vision||Low-Light Illumination||Infrared|
*Price for one camera and one sync module.
While some home security systems cost a little less upfront than the Blink Camera System, none of those come without a subscription. Other self-monitored systems typically start at a higher price point. In short, this is one of the most affordable systems available.
The price for an add-on Blink Camera is $69.99 and for an add-on XT2 Camera, it is $89.99. You can save by purchasing multiple camera upfront in a bundle. For example, a system of five Blink Cameras and a sync module is $279.99, nearly $80 less than buying the parts separately. Similarly, the five-camera bundle for the XT2 is $379.99, also around an $80 discount.
Overall, the Blink Camera System is a capable and feature-rich system for what it claims to offer. It has far fewer security systems than some competitors; however, it doesn’t aim to compete with them in full. Instead, Blink is primarily a security camera company.
In that regard, it is a promising option in terms of both cost and features. For anyone who is open to self-monitoring, the Blink Camera System is worth consideration.