Nest Hello Doorbell Camera
Nest's video doorbell impresses with 1600 HD and person detection.
- Oversized viewing screen for full picture
- Integrates with Google and Nest products
- Optional facial recognition technology
When you want to know who’s at your door even when you’re not at home, you’ve probably considered a device like the Nest Hello Doorbell Camera. This smart doorbell replaces your existing wired bell to deliver clear HD video of your doorstep 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Nest Labs was founded in 2010 by two former Apple engineers. They introduced the first product in their venerable smart home line, the Nest Learning Thermostat, in 2011. Nest Labs was purchased by Google in 2014 and has since developed an extensive collection of smart home devices powered by Google Assistant and designed to interact seamlessly with one another.
The Nest Hello Doorbell Camera is one of the most popular options for this type of product because of its robust technology and ease of use. With an IPx4 water resistance rating, rainstorms are no match for this device. Other exciting features and functions include the following:
All-Day Streaming HD Video
The Nest Hello offers high-definition recording with night vision and a 160-degree field of view. With a 4:3 video ratio, you’ll be able to see the person at your door from head to toe. Integrated face recognition technology lets you set special alerts for regular visitors and package deliveries. Whenever a person or object enters the camera’s field, you’ll receive a smartphone alert through your device’s Nest app.
This camera is equipped with HD Talk and Listen, a two-way radio feature that allows you to communicate directly with visitors from your smartphone. It also boasts the ability to record responses so you can answer your door even when you’re at work or on vacation. The high-quality speaker and microphone provides crystal-clear live and recorded sound.
The Nest Hello Doorbell camera works seamlessly with other Nest products, which makes it a smart choice for those who plan to create an entirely smart home. Some of the add-on options with this doorbell camera include the following:
- The Nest Secure Alarm System, a home security system that can be operated remotely through the Nest app on your smartphone or tablet. This alarm system features an alarm, keypad and motion sensor with integrated Google Assistant commands, easy arming and disarming, and smart reminders designed to make home security a set-it-and-forget-it proposition.
- The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, a weatherproof surveillance camera designed to keep watch over your entire property with a 50-foot motion sensor range. Receive an alert on your smartphone when the system detects unusual activity. The Nest Aware system recognizes familiar faces to reduce false alerts. HDR and 12x digital zoom offer a crisp, clear picture on the Nest app.
- Nest Detect, small motion sensors designed for your doors and windows. The Quiet Open function lets your family move through the home without setting off alerts. Outfit your home with up to 30 Nest Detect devices, making this a workable option for homes of all shapes and sizes.
- The Nest Cam IQ Indoor, a smart HDR camera that seamlessly tracks movement within the home. It features a fast six-core processor, integrated Google Assistant, close-up tracking view, three microphones with noise suppression for crystal-clear sound, battery backup and encrypted cloud video storage.
- The Nest x Yale lock, released in 2018 as a collaboration with the trusted lock manufacturer. This smart lock features technology that lets you unlock your door from anywhere with your Nest app and determine who’s at your doorstep even when you’re away. Provide passcodes for your family member and temporary passcodes for visitors, babysitters or dog walkers.
The camera is also compatible with Google Nest Hub smart products and Amazon Alexa devices.
The Nest Hello Doorbell Camera costs $229 for the hardware unit alone, or $329 if you opt for professional installation. If your home does not have a wired doorbell, you may also need an adapter kit to make this doorbell cam work for you. Nest also offers bundled packages that combine the Hello Doorbell Camera with other compatible smart home devices at a discounted price. Check out some of the current bundle options:
|Nest Hello Doorbell and Nest Secure Alarm System||$548 (savings of $80 compared to purchasing products separately)|
|Nest Hello Doorbell and Nest Cam IQ Outdoor 2-Pack Bundle||$927 (savings of $100)|
|Nest Video Doorbell, Nest Secure, Nest Detects, Nest Cam IQ Indoor and Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, Nest Hello, and Nest x Yale lock||$1,421 (savings of $350)|
In addition to the one-time cost of the Nest Hello Doorbell Camera hardware, you can opt to purchase a Nest Aware subscription. This service stores your continuous HD video in the cloud for a specified length of time so you can go back and review the footage later. Available subscription packages include the following:
|Package||Monthly Cost||Yearly Cost|
|5-day subscription||$5 per month||$50 per year ($10 savings)|
|10-day subscription||$10 per month||$100 per year ($20 savings)|
|30-day subscription||$30 per month||$300 per year ($60 savings)|
If you have more than one Nest camera, you can save 50% on additional subscriptions after paying for your first full-price subscription. The Nest Hello Doorbell Camera comes with a two-year limited warranty.
Unlike competitors that begin recording only when sound or motion is detected, this video doorbell provides continuous recording of your property for upgraded home security. Fans of the Nest Hello Doorbell camera say it is easy to use and provides the features you need at an affordable price. The HD picture is clear and provides detailed images in both low-light and extra-bright conditions. If you are concerned about the aesthetics of your home, you’ll also appreciate this device’s small size. It’s less than 5 inches tall and weighs in at less than 4.5 ounces.
If you’re already a fan of Google products, Nest is the natural choice if you’re building or adding to a smart home setup. When you need support for your Nest products, rely on Google’s extensive research library, call a representative directly, request a call back from customer support or talk to an assistant through online chat.