Surfshark FAQs: The Essential Information
If you’re surfing the web on a public Wi-Fi network, you need Surfshark.
- No-logs VPN company based in the Virgin Islands
- Allows unlimited connections, double VPN, and split tunneling
- Choice of OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2P2, Shadowsocks & more
Since VPNs are a relatively new phenomenon, we get inundated with questions about them, and about specific VPN brands in particular. And since Surfshark launched just a few years ago in 2018, many people may not know all the details. Is Surfshark good, free, worthwhile, and safe? We have the answers to all these questions and more below in our Surfshark FAQs.
Is Surfshark a good VPN?
Surfshark is a good VPN due to its:
- Headquarters in a Five Eyes non-member country, the British Virgin Islands
- Large network of over 3,200 servers in 65 locations worldwide
- Kill switch, also known as a network lock feature
- Split tunneling
- Netflix access
- 256-bit encryption
- Multi-hop, also known as double VPN
- Quick speeds on Macs
- Unlimited devices and simultaneous connections per subscription
- Strong mobile apps
- Low prices
- 30-day free trial
What is Surfshark?
Surfshark is a VPN from a company of the same name based in the British Virgin Islands. Surfshark has apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Android TV, and Linux devices, plus browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
How do I cancel Surfshark?
- Open a blank email.
- In the recipient box, type firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write a message requesting the cancellation of your subscription.
- Click Send.
You can also contact customer support over live chat to cancel your subscription. Read more about Surfshark’s policies in our Surfshark subscription page.
How do I use the Surfshark VPN?
To use the Surfshark VPN:
- Create an account on Surfshark’s website.
- Download the Surfshark app or browser extension.
- Open the app.
- Log in using your credentials.
- Connect to the server of your choosing.
Learn more about how to use Surfshark in our Surfshark VPN review.
Is Surfshark free?
Yes, Surfshark is free for the first 30 days. Users don’t even need to provide their credit card information to try out the VPN for a month, and there are no limits on devices, simultaneous connections, servers, bandwidth, etc. Check out the best free VPNs and best free-trial VPNs for other options.
NOTE: After the first 30 days, you’ll need to pay for Surfshark. Prices start at $2.49 per month with the two-year package, $6.49 per month with the six-month package, or $12.96 with a one-month package.
Is Surfshark safe?
Surfshark is safe due to its:
- Location: The Surfshark company is based in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), meaning that other government agencies can’t force it to reveal customer data. That’s because the British Virgin Islands isn’t part of the international surveillance alliances Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or Fourteen Eyes, unlike the U.S.
- Encryption: What does Surfshark have in common with the U.S. government and military? They all use AES-256 encryption, the highest standard available, to protect sensitive information. This means that not even Surfshark can see what you’re doing online, let alone your internet service provider (ISP).
- Multi-hop: Surfshark encrypts your web traffic and IP addresses multiple times, a process called either double VPN or multi-hop.
- Kill switch: Even if Surfshark fails, it will shut down all of your web activity so that your ISP won’t be able to see what you’re doing online.
DID YOU KNOW: Multi-hop means that the VPN encrypts your web activity multiple times, making it more difficult to trace.
Who owns Surfshark?
Surfshark is an independent company without a parent company. It is based in the British Virgin Islands and was founded in 2018.
How much does Surfshark cost?
Surfshark costs anywhere from $2.49 to $12.95 a month, depending on the length of the contract.
Term length in months 1 6 24 Monthly cost $12.95 $6.49 $2.49 Total amount billed $12.95 $38.94 $59.76 Savings N/A 50% 81%
Also, note that students can get a 15 percent discount off Surfshark subscriptions through StudentBeans.1 There are also occasional Surfshark deals as well as Surfshark Black Friday deals for more savings.
That’s all we have on Surfshark! We hope we answered your questions, but if you want to see Surfshark in action, check out our latest Surfshark video review on our YouTube channel.2 Activate Surfshark today so you can securely watch Netflix, browse the web, and more!