Hotspot Shield Review 2023
With over 1,800 servers in over 80 countries, you can expect fast speeds from Hotspot Shield.
All of our content is written by humans, not robots. Learn More
What We Like
- Speed: Hotspot Shield performed lightning fast during download and upload speed tests, mainly because of its servers that support speeds up to 1 Gbps.
- Can access Netflix: This could change, but for now, Hotspot Shield works with Netflix and other video streaming websites.
- Free option: Hotspot Shield offers a free version that is convenient but capped at 500 MB per day and has a two Mbps speed limit.
What We Don't Like
- Only five simultaneous connections per account: Five just doesn't cut it for some people.
- Strict data retention laws: The United States is not the best place to base a VPN service in, given its membership in Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes, but Hotspot Shield’s zero-logs policy means it has no data to give up in the first place.
- Slow customer support for non-paying users: If you're using the free version or simply shopping around Hotspot Shield's website, there's no live chat or phone support option. Queries go through email tickets only.
Bottom LineTotal security doesn't have to sacrifice speed. Hotspot Shield is a perfect example, with super-fast speeds during our upload and download speed tests.
Hotspot Shield. (2019). AnchorFree Transparency Report.