McAfee Safe Connect VPN Review
McAfee is a great antivirus, but does its VPN live up to its promises?
All of our content is written by humans, not robots. Learn More
What We Like
- Highly-rated iOS and Android apps: Although their names are somewhat confusing, actually connecting to McAfee on mobile is as easy as one tap.
- Free trial: We had a week to try out McAfee without paying, making it one of the VPNs with free trials.
- AES-256 encryption: Perhaps the most important thing, the McAfee Safe Connect VPN hid our web activity and IP addresses using the current industry standard for encryption, AES-256.
What We Don't Like
- Based in the U.S: That means that the U.S government could legally force McAfee Safe Connect VPN to give over customer information under Five Eyes jurisdiction.
- Logs IP addresses and web activity: Not to be a Negative Nancy, but McAfee Safe Connect VPN has one of the worst data-logging policies we’ve ever seen.
- Kill switch on Windows only: If McAfee Safe Connect VPN disconnected on our iOS or Android phones, our ISP would have been able to clearly see what we were doing online.
Bottom LineWith dynamic IP addresses that change every time you connect, McAfee Safe Connect VPN will make you nearly impossible to trace online.
McAfee. (2020). About McAfee.
Hashed Out. (2019). How strong is 256-bit Encryption?